Skip to main content

A Blogging Guru

This is what a guru looks like - well something like it!

Back to blogging

I'm back at my blogging again. Three blogs at the moment. Not bad really, is it? My favourite blogging adventure was my original expat blog, which, unfortunately, I had to close once I was no longer able to blog anonymously. Because it was what some of our US based friends might call 'way TMI.  This is my general blog, MBB is my book blog and My East/West Life is my current attempt at blogging about life in India for an Irish wife.

Then there's the experimental writing blog on Wordpress....and you know, can you believe I've been blogging for ten years now? Yes, that's right. But I've taken a looooong hiatus from blogging recently owing to the loss of a beloved family member. And I've stood back from the blogging a little. And then I came back. And amazingly, I've discovered stuff I never knew before.

New discoveries

I discovered that owing to Adsense ads, I've earned the princely sum of erm....sixteen US dollars over the past decade. Yes, that's right. Not exactly enough to retire on, is it? Still...it's better than nothing. I suppose. I've also discovered the mysteries of Feedburner and even more interesting - the devilish complexities of yes! SEO(otherwise known as Search Engine Optimization)! Oh, wow! There are people out there who started blogging years after I did and they have made actual, real money from it. Imagine! If not enough to live on, at least a respectable side hustle. It's like I've been asleep all these years.

Well, who knew? Really. For me, blogging meant creative writing. For others, an array of technical skills was the minimum requirement.

Internet guru Neil Patel

Even more amazing is the fact that there are some people who have learned the secret of turning a blog into a business and they are sharing the information freely. One such person is a man with an Indian name, a certain Neil Patel. His website is a veritable treasure trove of knowledge. The amount of information available in his posts and podcasts is ginormous. This guy, unless he's a figment of some Internet nut's imagination, is a walking industry.

Neil is an Irish name, you know. I thought I'd name one of my sons Neil because it would mean that the boy would feel comfortable in both Irish and Indian settings. But that never happened. Neil Patel sounds just like an American, though. However, being of Indian origin, he certainly qualifies as an Internet guru, 'guru' being the Sanskrit word for 'teacher.  I'd like to use this post as an opportunity to thank this Internet magus for sharing his knowledge so freely. Thank you Neil!


Image courtesy of Pixabay

Comments

  1. Nice to have you blogging again. Neel in Sanskrit is blue and can usually be short for Neelkant which is blue throat, a name for Lord Shiva!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…