Skip to main content

Love's Labours Lost - Extremely Overdue LBC Post

If there's one thing I've excelled at lately, it's failure.  Love's Labours Lost indeed.  Lost and gone forever, as the song says, or so it seems.  Years ago, when I became a mother, I resolved to put my kids first no matter what and for the most part, I don't regret it.  But lately, I read in Facebook about Shirley, an old friend of mine and expat Irish woman who lives in Australia, where she moved about a decade ago.  Shirley took a trip home to Dublin to touch base with her family and friends, leaving her (Irish) husband and kids to hold the fort at their home in Perth.  I've never done a thing like that, not even considered it.  Well, now I'm considering it.  My youngest's eleven and once the kids are on school holidays, I think it would be great if I could take three weeks out and visit my mother.  This occurred to me when one of my offspring informed me that he/she didn't care about what I was doing, but he/she fully intended to take their holidays in Dublin next year.  And I'm like "Excuse me, if anyone is entitled to take time out and head for Dublin, it's me."  I would so much enjoy a break at my native place and feel all the better going back to Lucknow.  But will that happen?  There'd be howls of protest if I even suggest such a thing.  But it's true in a way - the more you do for those you love, the more they take you for granted.

I've missed a lot of topics in the LBC lately, including the most over-rated artiste, one which I definitely wanted to participate in. Now, without a doubt, I love watching Bollywood movies and any other Indian movies when time allows.  I enjoy the glitz, the glamour and the sheer entertainment value.  I thoroughly enjoy the antics of Bollywood filmi heroes like Shahrukh Khan and Salman Khan.  These guys can dance, fight and entertain with gusto.  But can they act?  Well that's a moot point.  They may be great entertainers, but neither Shahrukh nor Salman, charismatic and talented though they may be, would ever be in the race for the greatest actor of all time award, should such an award exist.  Why? Because they play the same role in every movie, that's why. Shahrukh is nearly always called Rahul in his movies and he plays the same singing, dancing lover boy.  Same with Salman.  Salman Khan is seriously handsome and has immense sexual magnetism (or so it would seem as I've never actually met him), but he is not an actor.  He plays the same singing, dancing lover boy called Prem in nearly every movie.  Now, having said that, I'm certainly not complaining about it.  I'll just say "so what" and "pass the popcorn" when the next Khan Bollywood movie does the rounds.  An exceptional Bollywood actor is Amir Khan, who plays the role of a mentally challenged individual in his new movie "PK".  Now there is an actor who stretches himself.  He started out with the lover boy roles but can tackle playing a villager, a mentally challenged person, an idealistic young teacher and various other challenging assignments. He's an entertainer, but there's more to him than the basic Bollywood package.

Another missed topic was "Emotional Alchemy".  Now what is emotional alchemy?  I've heard of sexual chemistry, but emotional alchemy  evades my understanding.  It reminds me of an Indian dance reality show "Nach Baliye", when a dancing couple were told by the judges that they had no chemistry.  "No chemistry?  I'll show you biology," replied the male of the couple. Very funny indeed.  Alchemy is some sort of ancient pseudo science which was supposed to help scientists turn lead into gold. So emotional alchemy could be that process by which emotions lead a person to view a grim situation through rose coloured glasses.  Such as the rosy glow of being in love can blind you to a person's obvious faults.  Yes, well, if that's emotional alchemy, I'd prefer to keep my distance if you don't mind.....

What about the topic "Role Model"?  Well, I haven't got a role model.  I might admire certain people for certain things, but at the end of the day, I want to be the first  Maria Perry Mohan, rather than a carbon copy of somebody else.  I admire Indian actress Madhuri Dixit for her vivaciousness and her dancing skills, I admire Anni-Frid Synni Princess Reuss of Plauen for her beauty, as she is the one woman in the universe whose looks I envy. I admire lots of writers for their writing ability...there's also my former teacher, Jacinta Kitt, who in addition to being a fantastic teacher, went on to do some pathbreaking psychological studies, in addition to being the wife of an Irish government minister and the mother of a renowned musician.  Then there's the Biblical Proverbs 31 woman who runs a home and has a rich and fruitful existence in addition to being a wife and mother.  Who is my role model?  It varies according to mood, I suppose.

The Loose Blogging Consortium, a small group of bloggers including RummuserThe Old FossilMaxi,, Shackman and Ashok, have been blogging along together for several years now, traditionally on Fridays.  We've just been joined by Lin.  With my hectic life, I often don't make it by Friday, but I try to blog along nevertheless.  I thank the group for the continued inspiration to blog when I otherwise wouldn't have done so.  Image courtesy of Ventrilock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net



Comments

  1. Wow! Many for the price of one in the season for discount sales! Great to have you back among the hopeful. Restricting myself to the topic under discussion, one of the things that parents inevitably do is to not love themselves enough to take a break from routine to charge their batteries. Mothers particularly so. I think that it would be a very good idea to go to Ireland on your own the next summer. I guaratee that the roof will not fall down in your absence.

    And it is unforgivable that you do not mention Rakhi Sawant, when discussing Bollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Many for the price of one in the season for discount sales! Great to have you back among the hopeful. Restricting myself to the topic under discussion, one of the things that parents inevitably do is to not love themselves enough to take a break from routine to charge their batteries. Mothers particularly so. I think that it would be a very good idea to go to Ireland on your own the next summer. I guaratee that the roof will not fall down in your absence.

    And it is unforgivable that you do not mention Rakhi Sawant, when discussing Bollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My love's labour was rewarded twice by your blog! Please remove one of them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria makes me laugh...as I grwo older, I do want to be for a few days on my own...it rarely happens as the 'world is too much with us'.

    This post of yours was truly a marathon session of updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Irish. I spent 5 weeks there visiting in an Irish farm home, visiting my newly wed daughter-in-law who was studying the Irish for a college degree. I love Ramana because I visited India & came close to meeting him. I love to read your diary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing...
    Tobacco Machinery

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…