Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Do We Really Need Another Social Network? Well, Let's See.....

Social networking has really taken off during the last few years.  There's Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+, Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr...there seems to be no end to it, really.

The most time consuming type of networking seems to be blogging.  Blogs are online diaries and can be found on Blogger, WordPress and Tumblr, as well as various other sites  Netizens can write about general things, or a specific subject.  There are craft blogs, book blogs, life blogs, expat blogs, to name but a few.   With regard to blogging, it works best when you visit and comment on blogs of a similar interest.   Then there's Twitter, which introduced microblogging - a blog in less then 140 characters. Not to mention Pinterest, where you can create virtual pinboards of internet links of interest and share them with your friends.The most popular kind of networking seems to be sharing links, photos, events and opinions on Facebook.  Write a sentence, share a photo and you're gone. To show you've seen a friend or relative's post, you just have to click 'like'.   Is there really anything left to do in social networking?


Well, apparently, there is.  Ever heard of state.com?  I just have.  Like about twenty minutes ago.  Well, of course I joined.  I promote books and review them and I'm on pretty much everywhere.  However, once I provided the list of my Twitter and Facebook contacts, I was informed  that I really am a pioneer, as none of my contacts have joined this newtwork yet.  So I shall wait until someone else does.


Although I don't have contacts set up as yet, I think I've figured out what makes this work.  You get a list of topics and you can select your area of interest.  Then your page gets feeds of conversations and opinions which the network feels would interest you.  You are free to join in the various conversations.  I presume one can also add one's own opinion too, if one so desires.  


It will be really interesting to see if this new network is as successful as the earlier ones.  I shall wait and watch.  I presume the opinions can become Tweets and Facebook posts if one allows it to happen, thus getting exposure for one's personal  opinions on a grand scale.


In a way, I think this new network could be a lot of fun.  On the other hand though, I feel that the utmost discretion is required.  I mean, it may be okay to say you hated the new Spiderman movie, if you did.  On the other hand, shooting your mouth off about controversial topics can be somewhat unwise.  I'm not in favour of letting the world know my opinion on each and everything.  On the other hand, it's good to know that there is a facility to make your voice heard if there is a social issue about which you feel strongly and want to make your views known on.


So with regard to state.com, I'll give it a fair hearing.  I'll wait and watch and see how it goes.  And who knows?  Perhaps this time next year, state.com will be as much a part of our lives as all the other social networks we enjoy, like Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook.  We'll have to wait and see.


Image courtesy of jannoon028 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net



4 comments:

Shelly said...

Sometimes it makes my brain hurt to learn all I need to know with social media, but it is pretty rewarding once it is learned.

Rummuser said...

Thanks but no thanks. I am likely to go off FB too soon.

Stephanie Faris said...

Ugh!!! Not another one. I can barely keep up with the ones I have. I joined Instagram because my stepdaughter said that's where kids are now...and that is the only social network where young fans have found me. Okay--only TWO fans, but still that's more than any other network. It's just so much to keep up with.

Grannymar said...

I am not happy with the idea of adding all the names and details of people on your contact list. Does that mean state(dot)com harvests the details of someone who might have sent you one email in ten years? It is a reminder to audit gmail et al on a regular basis.