Skip to main content

Undone - An LBC Post

Hey, Will Knott, thanks a bunch for leaving a cryptic topic for the LBC to write on and then disappearing into the wild blue yonder.  As a harassed wife and mother and four with the spouse and offspring forever clamouring for my time and attention, this wasn't a 'post 'n go' topic' for which I could stick up a photo, leave a Tweet-sized statement and run off to comment on other LBC blogs.  I tried to conjure up a picture using the word 'undone', but the photo that came up, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.  Just let's say if I used it, you'd think this was a post about male strippers before you'd even started to read. Strewth! (I'm probably reading too many historical novels lately - 'Strewth' is a corrupt version of an old-fashioned English exclamation 'God's truth!').

Speaking of historical fiction, as a book reviewer, it's my favourite genre.  It wafts you back into another time and place when life was simple.  There was no pressure to go on the net and check Facebook or one's blog. No. Life was at a slower, easier pace.  Well, apart from the fact that you had to do all your housework by hand. Wash the clothes, grind the spices, scrub the floor on your knees.   Yes.  And the possibility of dying in childbirth if you were a woman was practically a given. Okay, I love historical stuff provided it's nicely researched and reasonably well written, but apart from reading about it, I've no desire to return to the past.  Hills being greener far away and all that.


'Undone' seems to be an old-fashioned expression which means that one is ruined, facing disaster. As in 'alas, my dearest friend has betrayed me!  I am undone....'  


A publishing company whose books I review rather frequently has a line called 'Undone'.  Yes, it is a historical line of books (yay) and features short reads with damsels in distress being ravished by macho rakes, pirates and the like (Yay? Not yay!).  Well, for the record, I never review those.  Firstly, I'm never asked to do so.  Secondly, they are boring.  I mean who needs to read about Lady Helena Whomsoever having her wicked way in any number of positions and situations?  Or someone else having their wicked way with her? These matters are totally private in my opinion and I have absolutely no interest in vicariously experiencing someone else's shenanigans. Moreover, why is it that when people get it together in fiction, they always have the most amazing sessions with earth moving sensations and the like?  It's stretches one's credibililty rather too much.  Indeed, it's enough to make ordinary mortals madly jealous.  As one  author said in a group discussion on Facebook, these scenes are often lousy excuses for having no real story to tell.  At the back of every good book, be it hot or sweet,  there has to be a story worth reading.  Otherwise, what is the point?.


Then supposing one of those stories (I mean, one of those scenes in one of those stories) strikes a nerve somewhere and gets you all hot and bothered?  For a housewife, this is the ultimate nightmare, not to mention inconvenience.  I mean, there you  are, all primed and ready for action and you have to go and like, do the laundry?  Or peel the potatoes? Or (in certain situations) unblock a drain?  Now, there's a let down if I ever I experienced one.  So I tend to keep the bodice ripper books at arms length.  No wonder they're called 'hysterical historicals'.


That's a situation which in which  I would consider myself  to be 'undone'.  In the sense of 'alas', I mean.  If you know what I mean.



My thanks are due to freedigitalphotos.net for the image (courtesy of Stuart Miles).  And to my LBC blogger friends (links in sidebar) for the inspiration to keep on writing and blogging week after week.


Comments

  1. Strewth you are touchy lady! Sinatra in his famous It Was A Very Good Year, song has this stanza -
    "When I was twenty-one
    It was a very good year
    It was a very good year for city girls
    Who lived up the stair
    With all that perfumed hair
    And it came undone
    When I was twenty-one."

    From the time I heard that song way back in the sixties of the last century, I have been looking for city girls with perfumed hair that came undone with no success whatsoever.

    May be I was / am in the wrong country unless of course it can happen in your part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must check that song out, Rummuser.

    I'd say you've found yourself 'undone' on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Perry Mohan! :shock: You may not have reviewed the 'Undone' list, but it seems from your post that you read plenty of them! ;) Peeling the spuds is just the job to calm your beating heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not keen on books which are just a lot of losely connected sex scenes either. I'd rather read a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grannymar - as you know, we were brought up as Catholics, therefore it is a sin for us to read such books. Right? BTW I'm so happy to see you over here.

    Patsy - Well said! Thanks for coming over and commenting. Always a pleasure to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    Tobacco Machines

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…