Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Christmas Post - Five Gifts I'd Love To Give My Children For Christmas

As a mother of four children, who are the very life of me, I'm literally living my dream.  From the  time it first became possible for me to have children, I dreamt of being a mother.  I didn't exactly have suitors queueing up for me, you understand.  I wasn't found too easily.  I could generally be found in the local library, totally absorbed in reading while my friends at school (this was Dublin, Ireland, circa 1980) were going off the the pub at weekends to see U2 playing when they were just a local band, prior to their superstardom.  My dad's younger brother, Uncle Anthony, declared that I would probably be found dead in the library one day, having failed to live a proper life.  He got the shock of his life a few years later, the first time I met him after my marriage. By then, I'd produced a son, was enthusiastically breastfeeding and had turned into Mother Earth.  "I can't believe this," he was heard to mutter.

But it was all true.  I have, by now, produced four fabulous, healthy kids, two boys and two girls.  I love them to bits and am extremely possessive and protective.  Of course, that's not good either.  As I love them, I've got to set them free.  Free to live the lives of their choice to their fullest potential.  Free to learn from their own mistakes.  Free to be the people they were born to be.  They're not mine, you know.  Nor are they my husband's, nor their paternal grandparents', as is often the idea in India.  Their lives are a gift from God to their very own selves.

If the good Lord appeared before me (and who says he won't?), and asked me what five gifts I'd like to give my children for Christmas, here's what I'd ask for.

  1. The gift of laughter. That will ensure their mental and physical health.  Laughter really is the one of the best medicines.  
  2. The gift of making the best of every situation.  Sometimes in life, things don't turn out as we would have liked.  But success is failure turned inside out.  If we can take the difficult situations without giving in to despair, today's failure can easily turn into tomorrow's success.
  3. The gift of speaking positive words.  Speaking in a positive manner about everything brings about the positive circumstances in all our lives.  Our brainwaves are like radio waves and broadcast our mental state to the universe, attracting like forces.  I would like that my children should always attract positive forces into their lives.  It would be so good for them.
  4. The gift of discernment to choose wisely.  In these important years, as the children will have to choose what to study and where to aim their ambitions.  The choice has to be their own, but will they have the discernment to choose wisely?  If they have that gift, I guarantee that they will never regret any choice that they make.
  5. The gift of self-assurance.  A decision, once made, can have very a definite outcome. As they grow older, they may regret making certain decisions and choices.  But every choice, sincerely chosen, brings us somewhere and I truly believe that we should never regret anything we do.  I would like that my children should not waste time in futile regret, but have confidence in the decisions that they've made.  I want them to  press on ahead and keep on keeping on, no matter what happens in their lives.
As a mother, I'd like to protect the children from all the vicissitudes of life, but it's not possible to do that, however much I'd like to do it (and I certainly would).   What I can do, however, is teach them life skills to cope with those vicissitudes and pray to God that they learn all that I'm trying to teach them. A mother's prayers are powerful and until my children choose their life partners and merge their individual destinies with that of a significant other, my prayers for them are the ones that God will listen to most closely.  

I wish the readers and followers of this blog a very happy Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.  I look forward to blogging again in 2014.

This post is a part of the 1001 Gifts Activity by HDFC Life in association with BlogAdda

7 comments:

Delirious said...

These are some things that I wish for my children too. I would like them to have the gift of wisdom to make wise choices in their lives. I would also like them to have the gift to work hard, because hard work can help them fulfill their dreams. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Maxi said...

Your five gifts for your children are wonderful Maria, gifts that will help them in life.
blessings ~ maxi

Maggie May said...

I think that is an excellent 5 choices. I'm sure you are making a very good job of implementing these things in their lives already.
Have a very Happy Christmas.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Ayak said...

All we can do is steer our children gently in the right direction. The rest is up to them, although as mothers we are always there to pick up the pieces when things go wrong, no matter how old they are.

Have a lovely Christmas Maria, and here's wishing you all you wish for in 2014 xxx

Rummuser said...

I shall send my appeal to the GL to grant you your requests. They are beautiful gifts.

Mimi said...

5 wise and beautiful gifts Gaelikaa.
I love no. 2, reminds me of the fascinating story of Abraham Lincoln.
That gift would leave them set up for life, with its many challenges, but I'd love the others too!

Maria Perry Mohan said...

@Delirous - Yes, wisdom is imperative for a happy life. So is the gift of hard work. I don't have much of a work ethic, but I'm developing it later in life LOL

@Maxi - Thanks for your kind words. I'm so happy to see you over here.

@Maggie May - Thank you so much. I hope I have. Best wishes for your good health in the new years.

Ayak - Welcome! Yes, I agree with you.

Rummuser - Thanks, hun!

Mimi - Thanks so much.