Skip to main content

Daydreams - LBC Post

It's Friday so it's time for another Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post.  This week's topic, DAYDREAMING, is contributed by LBC  member THE OLD FOSSIL.

From the comments I've been reading lately, through blog and emails, I've come to know that some of the members of the LBC group I've been blogging along with for several years now have problems with inspiration. Of course, life can get in the way and one has to 'fill the well' of inspiration at times. But at the risk of sounding like a complete spoilsport, I have to say that I don't think I ever really had that problem.  Is there something wrong with me? There must be.  But I can't help it.  Sorry.

I'm a feature writer, a short story writer (yes, published in print on and the web and not just on free blogs either) and an aspiring author.  My main problem is not finding inspiration, but finding time and space to write all that inspiration down.  I find my inspiration when I daydream.  If I don't get time to write and read and dream, I become miserable and depressed and burn the dinner.  The ironing turns out horrible and my rooms are in a mess.  Certain people in my life have told me that everyone has to make sacrifices in life.  I should give all my books away, quit writing and concentrate on washing the freaking floor.  I should have the washing machine constantly on the go and be permanently stationed in the kitchen, because someone is needed there all the time to see that tea and snacks are always available to be served to those who require them and the dinner should never, ever be delayed.  When I tried to explain that being on twenty four hour household duty would render me dead of boredom, I was asked why I had four children if I 'didn't want to look after them'.  

Then I got very upset.  "Just kill me," I said.  "I can't live like that."  

Every day I cook, clean the house and wash clothes.  After a certain time, I get absorbed in more creative pursuits.  Or if something urgent on the computer has to be done, I do that first and catch up on the housework.  The work gets done, the family gets fed.  It works out.  Spending too much time on the house turns me into a moron.  I end up going into ecstasies over how much washing powder I used this week and the special offers on biscuits down in the supermarket.  I do not want to be like that.  Ever.

Finally, to round off this post on daydreaming, here's a Tweet-sized summary of what I think daydreaming is:

Daydreaming is what I love to do.  It's how I do my best work, applying my imagination to situations both possible and impossible.

If inspiration fails you, a photo and a Tweet-sized sentence will make a post.

Thanks to the LBC members (links in sidebar, please visit them for more takes on the same topic) for being there week after week in blogging solidarity and for supplying topics about which to write. Thanks to all-free-download.com for the photo and thanks to Lettercount for helping me to count my characters.


Comments

  1. Daydreaming for me is best done at night when I"m trying to go to sleep. For some reason, it puts me to sleep every time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all do some of our best work in pour daydreams - or have the most fun, etc. - I love that twitter definition - as to being an aspiring writer I suppose all bloggers share that and it is a treat to see the words play out on the screen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I find daydreaming to be a marvelous tool of the mind and always have. Sometimes directed, sometimes just sitting open, it brings ideas otherwise inaccessable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see craft projects in my head, that to me is planning and not daydreaming.

    May your inspiration continue to flow, I look forward to reading the fruits of these daydreams in the weekly LBC posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernest Hemingway was a lush, a vagabond, a womaniser and anything else that you would want to call him. But every morning he got up and wrote about 500 words. In about eight or nine months, he had a book. He lived a life too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That person. The person to whom you alluded. The person with the helpful comments...
    You could try daydreaming about a suitable response to that person. It could involve a boot connecting with the arse of the arse who said it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I daydream constantly. I can't imagine living without it. I am like you. Can't put it aside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delirious, that's a good idea. Go tension free and get unconscious.

    Shackman, thanks for saying nice things about my twitter definition. I daydreamed that one up.

    The Old Fossil - Great minds think alike, obviously! LOL

    Grannymar - You're such a creative soul, I know you daydream. But you're very sensible too, not someone with your head in the clouds, which I'm often accused of being.

    Rummuser - Only 5oo words a day. Amazing. 500 words is so easy. His 500 words were amazing, though.

    Blackwatertown - LOL appropriate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shelly,

    we're obviously pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…