Skip to main content

My Greatest Fear - LBC Post

My greatest fear is that of entertaining fear.

I was haunted by lots of fears when I was younger.  Fear of failure, fear of not being good enough, fear of not being attractive enough, fear of rejection.  When I got married and had children, my fears were all for them.  Would they come through the birth all right?  Would they be healthy?  Would they be safe?  And so on ad infinitum.

I read the Bible a lot when I was younger, but I read it without understanding.  When I got older and more discerning, I started noting what the Bible said about fear.  My daughter was worried going to school one morning and we looked up the Bible for some guidance and we found the following verse in Psalm 34:

I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.(Psalm 34:4, NLT).

Whenever fear and worry knocks on my door, I remember the following verse:


Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7, NIV).


The Bible tells us one interesting thing about fear:


For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. (2 Timothy, 1:7, NLT).


This means that there is actually a 'spirit of fear', an evil spirit which troubles and torments.  You don't want to go getting involved with this spirit.  Get away from it, as far as possible and don't entertain it.


One more interesting thing the Bible has to tell us.We can read in the book of Proverbs, Chapter 9, verse 10:


The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, (Proverbs 9:10,NIV)


Fear of the Lord is, we were taught, one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, God's active personality working in this world.  Fear of the Lord is the fear of doing something that would offend God and it's quite a positive thing.  It helps us to keep away from sin and therefore, death. Which is always good.


So that's why I never allow myself to experience fear.  And if I accidentally slip and get nervous about something, I remember:


God is our refuge and strength,an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1, NIV)


When I was able to reassure and convince myself to believe in these words, I knew I need never fear anything again. 


So I suppose that aside from the fear of the Lord, my biggest fear would be losing my faith. Or entertaining fear, as I phrased it earlier. That would be a huge disaster.


This is my weekly post for the Loose Bloggers Consortium, a diverse, worldwide group of bloggers who post weekly on the same topic.  I have left links to other LBC bloggers in the actual post and have put the names and links to fellow LBC bloggers in the sidebar.  Not all our LBC bloggers post every week, but if you're looking for some interesting blogs to read, you are most welcome to visit my friends.  You may even find some alternative takes on the current topic of MY GREATEST FEAR,  suggested by a wonderful blogger by the name of DELIRIOUS. 









Comments

  1. I never could reconcile being taught to fear god - too oxymoronic to me. But I am in the minority - and do not begrudge anyone their faith, especially if it helps them as yours clearly does. Nicely said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that your faith remains strong and helps you in navigating the rest of your life.

    And to show off a bit, “Fear not what is not real, never was and never will be. What is real, always was and cannot be destroyed.”
    BG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the bible study lesson. I am pleased you find such comfort in The Good Book.

    I had a rather long comment written but decided to delete it. Thoughts better kept to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shackman,

    First of all, thank you for coming over and commenting.

    The fear of God just means loving a lot and wishing not to displease him. It's not fear in the negative sense. thanks for your kind words. :)

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rummuser,

    Thanks for the quote from the BG. Another great source of inspiration. I've enjoyed reading it too.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grannymar,

    It's always nice to see you and read your comments. You know, I wasn't so much trying to preach or teach a Bible lesson. I was just trying to share. You can get everything and anything on this blog, from life experiences to fiction. But this is the truth.

    Over the last two decades I've faced some very big challenges and had a lot of problems. As I love to write, I found blogging anonymously about my problems very cathartic initially, but when I started sharing my identity, I had to get all discreet and hide some of my older posts. I closed my old 'gaelikaa' blog some time back because if certain people read it and put two and two together, there could be repercussions.

    I am very happy that I've found solace in the Bible, it has been an enormous comfort to me. But I'm far from being in a position where I can teach anyone about it. I do like sharing what brings me joy, though, as it might help someone else.

    I'm a bit curious about the thoughts best kept to yourself, but I've often written long, emotional comments and just deleted them and replaced them with something short and sweet. Sometimes, less is more.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post Maria. We need to be reminded that fear of God is healthy.
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes write long - brilliant, erudite, useful - comments. I know, I know - why hasn't anyone ever seen them?

    I haven't deleted them like GM - the please prove you're not a robot monster keeps eating them. (Don't mean your blog in particular Maria.)
    Only my less sparkling contributions survive.

    But back to your post. Good Bible guide. Whatever provides strength and solace...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific post- and so true. My daughter and I were just talking about fear last night and discussing some of the scriptures you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a scripture that says, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear". I think that is really true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…