Skip to main content

A Late Post For Blog Action Day

Because India is in the far east and is technically what is known as a developing country, westerners find it very hard to believe that many people here live in unimaginable comfort.  There are kids who have laptops, access to modern educational aids, smartphones, pizza delivery, digital television, even a fancy vehicle to move around in - you name it, they have it.

The very same kids often live in homes where there is flagrant use of child labour.  I kid you not.  Because of the profusion of dust, the harsh climate and a cooking system which is still quite labour intensive, pressure cookers notwithstanding, a housewife's work is never, ever done.  So for those who can afford it, domestic help is a must. 

Ideally, one should employ a mature adult woman to do one's housework and cooking.  However, mature adult women are at a distinct disadvantage.  They have husbands, children and mother-in-laws to look after. They can only come for a limited time every day and they always want more and more money.  Food is getting more expensive and medicines are not cheap either.  They are always arguing and haggling about their rate, usually because of dire necessity.

So how much nicer to employ a child.  They can come when their employer wants them.  They don't know their rights and don't yet have family responsibilities.  They can be ordered about and they can also be paid a lot less than an adult.  Perfect, don't you think?

No, I don't think so.  I think that next to sexual exploitation, the exploitation of children for cheap labour is a blot on the face of modern Indian society.  Children are often employed in bangle factories and firework factories where the conditions are awful and the hours are long.  Everyone agrees that yes, that's terrible. But the very same people will employ a child to work in their house on the grounds that it's better than begging in the streets.

Childhood is a time to play and learn, not to take responsibilities.  If a child, seeing the unfairness and the unequal distribution of wealth, has a moral lapse and steals from their employer, he or she is more often than not beaten and mentally and verbally abused.  Yet who can blame them?  While sweeping your floor or cooking your food, they see you enjoying a life of which they can only dream.  Who, in their right mind, could blame a child for that?  I couldn't.

I have lots of stories and could go on for a year and a day.  I'll tell more about this in another post.  But the reason I'm blogging about this subject right now is because it is a subject that is close to my heart.  Every child is not mine, but if I wouldn't like to see my child employed in someone's house to do domestic work, why would I employ someone else's?

In short, children should not be employed in people's homes to do domestic work. 

Comments

  1. Hello!

    Today I have published a Blog Action Day article about 4 remarkable women:
    Please stop by, read it, comment if you like and leave your link too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you Maria. Childhood can never be given back once it is taken. So sad x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond sad, Maria. Are there no child labor laws in India?

    There must be a better way.
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave I visited. How did you get the link in? No idea.....

    Thanks Teresa.

    Maxi, yes there are but they are, to the best of my knowledge, relatively new and ignored a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I entirely agree with you. It is a great pity that children are exploited this way.
    Childhoods should be for playing and learning.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in total agreement with you that children should not be employed. I would like to carry this forward a bit and suggest that urban children should be compulsorily made to go out in the open to play games rather than stay indoors playing electronic games or watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Maggie.

    And Ramana there's one thing that will always lure my boys outside provided the weather's okay and it's not a fancy gadget.Just a simple think called a ball....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…