Skip to main content

Review - MBA Is Not About Money, Blazer, Arrogance - Indian Fiction

I enjoy reading Indian authors and try to promote them whenever I can.  This is my latest Indian read, written in the endearing style of Indian English.  Indians have truly made the language their own and have come up with a version of English which you'll never hear the Queen speak - but I love it all the same.  

I used to go around trying to correct the English of the people in my Indian environment, but when I came to understand that in fact 'Indian English' is a language all by itself, I gave up that annoying habit. The rather curious title of this novel, the core message really,  simply means that an MBA degree is not just about getting glory, a huge pay packet and dressing up in a business suit.  But I suppose that’s obvious, really.

This is the story of Revant, a young man from Hyderabad who enters a college in Mumbai to study for his Masters in Business Administration (MBA).  As soon as you get into reading this book, you start thinking that Revant is the author himself.  But author voice is a peculiar thing.  A reader really should not get into the habit of  associating the author with the character through whose eyes the story is being told.  But as the author has a heck of a lot in common with Revant, one gets the impression that this is really a thinly disguised fiction, an actual autobiography.

The author's voice is honest, frank and humble.  As Revant progresses through his MBA year, having taken the one year option, he describes the courses in detail, making the reader feel that she too is participating in the course.  There are lectures on spiritual philosophy, given by a swami from an ashram in Gujarat. ( I remember reading in the local newspapers here in Lucknow that a French student once came for a student exchange programme to Lucknow and was ecstatic at the fact that she heard a lecture on how the wisdom of Lord Shiva, a Hindu god, could be applied to management.  You would never hear the words of  Jesus Christ being quoted in a management lecture in Europe, she gushed.  Strange.  I'm not an MBA, nor anything close, but I do remember some twenty years ago, back in Ireland, attending an EU funded course at work (I worked in a government agency for empowerment of a certain minority) on leadership skills and the course had lots of Biblical wisdom in it, including quotes from Jesus Christ and references to His leadership skills.  I suppose it depends on which college you attend.  No doubt that scriptures, with their timeless wisdom, contain eternal truths which can be applied to many situations.  I also noticed a lot of reference to something called SWOT analysis (making lists of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats) in solving various management problems.  The main character takes the reader along on a trip to an NGO (non government organization - they're called voluntary groups back in Ireland, to the best of my knowledge).  The NGO visit is an eye opener, as the main character learns that villagers who are given proper training and practical education can build prosperous villages.

At one point, Revant actually starts wondering if the MBA degree isn't really a waste of time. That's when the book gets really interesting.                                 

And as in all good stories, in the course of time, our hero falls in love.  But if you think there are going to be hot shenanigans in the hostel, you couldn't be more wrong.  Our Revant survives on giving longing, wistful looks across the campus at his beloved, as he struggles to complete his assignments and, yes, improve his network skills.  Revant's parents choose a bride for him, but our hero, after giving his folks an open hearing, informs them that neither he, nor the girl, are suitable for each other.  Which I can't help admiring.  I was beginning to despair of Indian men, who, it appears to me,  seem to have an unhealthy reliance on their mothers when it comes to thinking for themselves in personal matters, especially in matters relating to choosing a marriage partner.

This is a really worthwhile read for anyone who wants to learn more about modern Indian life, or even anyone  who wants to study for an MBA qualification in India.  There is a lot of interesting information and wisdom.  However, it reads more like a memoir than a fiction novel.  In a novel you're waiting for a twist somewhere, a surprise to jerk you out of your complacency.  That's not really likely to happen in a memoir. But I was pleased about this.  There is a little surprise twist towards the end, but I won't spoil that surprise for any prospective readers.            

No, I wouldn't say that this book is everyone's cup of chai.  But then, what book is?  I'll go as far as to say that if you take it for what it is - an insider's view of an MBA course - you'll enjoy it for sure.   I'd like to add that if Revant is typical of  Indian  MBA graduates today, then the future of the country is in good hands.

I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.                                                                                                                 


Comments

  1. Sounds interesting.

    It's odd how people often assume works of fiction are based on the authors own experiences. I've had sympathy from my writing group when I've read first person stories and comments along the lines of "Oh, I didn't know you (were in that situation)"

    I suppose I should take it as a compliment that my writing is convincing, even if I do get arrested next time a character dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your article is pretty much interesting..many students commit suicide if they cannot pass, but don't lose hope cause many students make their downfalls as their inspiration..

    online mba degree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review, Maria. Thanks to Chetan Bhagat, there is a whole genre of MBA/engineering college books. And it seems like every MBA graduate in India is penning a semi-autobiographical novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. London Management Academy is one of the greatest MBA school in Hyderabad, India. Head to this site for more http://www.lmaedu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Mary Business School is the leading Business School in South India. It is also an A.I.C.T.E. approved management college. Click here for more mba college in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to find the iit jee online forums, please click the link

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to take a great course to preapre for IIT JEE, please click learn pedia for more details. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Click learn pedia to reveal best iit jee coaching schools in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can click the link of learn pedia to have more details about the top iit jee coaching institutes in Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To see more about me, please click this link of learn pedia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…