Skip to main content

Contradiction - and Puppy Love!

Last week, because of some crisis in my personal and emotional life, I missed posting with the LBC.  Therefore the topic of  "Puppy Love", suggested by Ramana, my dear brother, quite passed me by.  I can't say I wasn't relieved.   I used to pride myself on the fact that I could write about anything.  No topic too difficult.  Well, perhaps I couldn't write much about biochemistry, the subject in which my husband has a doctorate, but perhaps I could write about the impact that the science has had on me personally.  Or perhaps I couldn't write knowledgeably  about high flown subjects like philosophy and the like.  I could only write about those matters in a very general, layman's (or woman's) way.  But in general, I was always  like 'bring it on.  No topic too difficult".  And therein lies the contradiction.  My well of inspiration seems to have dried up recently.

I used to work for an incredible man who was not only a writer, but a diplomat.  His name is Kiran Doshi.  He was the Indian Ambassador to Ireland back in the 1980s, as well as to several other countries in the course of time.He is now retired and spends most of his time with his family. When I worked for His Excellency (he'll always be that for me, retired or not), I was fortunate enough to look after his correspondence and I noticed that some of his observations on life were incredibly clever.  People would write to him to ask what India was like.  He dealt with the onerous task of representing his country in an able manner, but one quote he often used when describing  incredible India was this one:  "Everything you can say about India is true.  And the reverse is also true."  I do not know to whom that quote is attributed, but the more I live here, the truer it becomes.  In fact, I very often use it now when I describe India to others.  It's one of the things I learnt from my Guru, you can say. There couldn't be a more contradictory statement.  Could there?  If there is one, (a more contradictory statement), I'd like to know what it is.

Now I will divert from this topic.

Being born into and brought up in Catholicism has left its mark on my psyche.  I suffer most dreadfully from guilt complexes.  Because I am feeling so bad having missed the LBC post last week, I have decided to cover the topic by coming up with this (admittedly rather lame) limerick.

Puppy Love

The topic of puppy love,
Is something I know little of,
Having missed in my youth
Th'energetic pursuit
Of the arrows of Cupid above.

I'll not be contributing limericks on contradiction any time soon.  That's for sure.

Well, that was great getting two topics covered in one post.  It leaves me right up to date with my LBC posts too.  Now, there are a couple of award posts which need catching up on.  I shall tackle them next.

And before I sign off I must mention another contradiction which occurred to me as I was working on this post.  There I was, wondering who had thought up the topic and bemoaning their lack of onsideration for poor, inspirationally disadvantaged bloggers.  Then I found that the person who contributed the topic was none other than I.  Contradiction or what?.

This is my weekly post for the LOOSE BLOGGERS CONSORTIUM.  We are an international group of bloggers, from Ireland, the UK, the USA, China and India and we post on a single topic every week unless one of us has some sort of issue which prevents us from posting.  We are, in alphabetical order, Delirious,  Grannymar,   MaxiMariaSF,  Padmum,  Paul, Ramana,  RohitShackman, The Old Fossil and Will. This topic was suggested by me this week.   If you like this post, go and visit my friends too and check out their take on this fascinating topic!

Comments

  1. Nicely done - turning this into a fascinating topic - LOL. Like you, I think I can write about almost anything but I must confess - this one was a bit more of a struggle. So thanks fir that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contradiction was a difficult one.

    I did find a rather strange contradiction, though. In my feed reader, your alphabetical list of members above, shows up with all the correct links, yet on your blog there are no links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself in the same position when I saw the topic "my first kiss". What was I thinking when I suggested that topic!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shackman. Glad to see I'm not the only one struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Grannymar, don't know what happened to those links but I've fixed them now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Delirous, it happens to us all sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Puppy love, straight off, I don't believe you.

    On contradiction, you are one. Your Irish Indian.

    Anyway, nice having you back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It isn't true that any subject can be written about really easily. First of all the subject has to be something you know well, have experienced or that you are really enthusiastic about and secondly, it all depends on the mood you are in at the time you try to write it! Well thats my view anyway.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria … not to worry, you did a fine job. This is a very unique quote: Everything you can say about India is true—and the reverse is also true.

    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is a constant contradiction, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Mary Business School is one of the top business schools in Hyderabad, south of India. Click here for more mba college in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you do want to find out more about MBA programs, please visit this website with many great blog posts about them. Click here for more best mba colleges in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…