Skip to main content

My First Kiss

I have Delirious to thank for the long brainstorming session I had prior to writing this post.  Our LBC members take turns in suggesting topics and this one has had me a little perturbed.  I mean, talk about spilling the beans on a personal matter!  I could see myelf running into dangerous waters here.  If not iceberg filled, at least shark filled.

Kissing is something I've been doing every day of my life for years.  I have gorgeous, lovable children and I can't stop hugging them and kissing them.  I have an adolescent son who doesn't really like getting kissed by his mother, well, not much anyway, which is perfectly understandable. There's a woman who comes to our  house to cook for some of our family members and she brings her tiny son along with her.  That kid adores me and is always jumping into my lap for hugs and kisses.  Which is quite a pleasant experience really.  Except my younger kids get jealous and sometimes try to push him away.

I always greet my own friends with hugs and kisses, especially when meeting after a long time.  When I'm with my husband  and he introduces me to one of his friends, I always do the the Indian joined hands 'namaste' gesture and never offer my hand.  I suppose I reinvent myself depending on the circumstances.And even though I'm okay with hugging and kissing, otherwise, I'm very cagey about people coming into my personal space.  Once the hugging and kissing is over, I like to maintain my distance.  Which seems contradictory, in a way.

There's different kinds of love and different kind of relationships.  In the Greek language, agape means divine love, the ectatic feeling you get when you get a sense of loving God and being loved by him.  There's filio, which is the love of parents, children, familial affection.  Then there's eros, which goes into the area of sexual love.  There are a profusion of words in Indian languages to decribe love too in its different shades.  The word for love of a mother and child is mamta.  The word used to describe what the Greeks would have called eros is ishq.  The word for affection is pyaar.

Talking about first kisses (which we are), I don't really remember mine.  It probably occured on the day I was born and was probably given by my mother.  However, I know that most people think of eros or ishq when describing first kisses.

Well I won't bore my readers senseless with descriptions of slobbery, adolescent fumblings.  I didn't really indulge in those pastimes in my teens, although I was extremely curious about all that stuff, needless to say. I didn't get any ishq, nor anything next nor near it, until I was well into my twenties.  That type of kissing is something that get better with practise and although I got off to a rather late start, I'd say I'm up to speed now where all that's concerned.  I certainly haven't had any complaints from the significant other, should anyone be interested to know.  Which I'm sure they're not.

And that's about it, really.

This is my weekly post for the LOOSE BLOGGERS CONSORTIUM.  We are an international group of bloggers, from Ireland, the UK, the USA, China and India and we post on a single topic every week unless one of us has some sort of issue which prevents us from posting.  We are, in alphabetical order, Delirious,  Grannymar,   MaxiMariaSF,  Padmum,  Paul,Ramana,  RohitShackmanThe Old Fossil and Will. This topic was suggested by THE OLD FOSSIL.   If you like this post, go and visit my friends too and check out their take on this fascinating topic!

Comments

  1. I have to admit being a little disappointed. I expected words of romantic verse from you this week, Maria. Since you have a wealth of experience about romance from all the books in that genre that you review.

    http://youtu.be/Szavq0lrFtg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, your description of teenage kisses is perfect! Lots of slobber involved, but not much technique. :D lol Actually, I'm not sure why I ever came up with this topic. The first kiss isn't really the best anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Maria. I think I would also have found this a difficult subject to tackle, one which would have needed some thought, but I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thanks for sharing, it's a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Grannyar

    Romantic verse? Here you go!

    There was a young woman from France,
    Who longed for a bit of romance,
    The lonesome young miss,
    Took a chance on a kiss,
    And was then led a merry old dance.

    I review romance, I wasn't sure if you knew that. I also review scary thrillers and lot of other genres. People read (and review) romances and any other genre they like for the same reason some people watch tv serials. To divert their attention from the real world and to engage their emotion. As a reviewer, it's my job to see if the author has succeeded in doing that. Doesn't mean I live life on a pink cloud of roses and champagne. Besides, most romance novels today are quite realistic and could probably be labelled 'relationship novels' instead

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Delirious - It was fun to write this. Thanks for the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,

    It might not be the kind of post everyone would expect, but there's something in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely remember my first kiss - A friend was supposed to be keeping watch for grown ups and didn't! I hated her for that, twenty odd years later I still haven't forgiven her!! Glad to see you're still blogging - I have a new blog but I'm backkkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully we're all up to speed by now - and nice limerick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post made for good reading, Maria. I love the part about the young boy jumping into your lap for kisses.
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  10. God is love!

    Catholic blogwalking

    http://emmanuel959180.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…