Skip to main content

'This Will Be My Epitaph'

This topic for my weekly LBC post fairly put a shiver up my spine, no disrespect intended to the excellent Maria Silverfox who suggested it.    I suppose I'm not alone in saying that I find epitaphs and graves and vaults and the like rather creepy.

I was able to be honest about it the day I  came to understand that when God the Father created us, He never intended for us to die. Nor to age beyond our prime either.  Death was brought into this world by the Enemy, who manipulated man, and brought with him the curse of death.

I belong to the group of Christians who believe that Jesus will come back one day and take those of his followers who are still alive with Him to a new life in Heaven and that those who have passed on previously - like my late father for example - will rise from the dead and join us.

All that worldly wisdom that ageing is inevitable and that death is the only certainty is not for me now.  Sure, I am ageing, I'm almost fifty. I certainly don't look as I did when I was sixteen, but I rather like my mature self.  Sure, I'd like to be slimmer.  I'd like to be less grey.  But I love the fact that I've done some amazing things in my life. I've travelled around the world.  I've given birth to four children.  I've been madly, crazily in love and taken the risks that go with it.   I've written a book or two.  Yeah, I've stayed out all night and danced and drank wine till the sun came up.  I'm still happy and excited about what the future holds.  I don't believe that the evening shadows are encroaching, as someone dear to me wrote recently.  About himself.

So as for epitaphs?  Well, I don't know if I'll have a grave.  My beloved husband  is of the Hindu faith and if he has anything to do with it, I'll be cremated and have my ashes immersed in the Ganges.  If my Irish family has anything to do with it, I could be buried in grave, but it may be a shared, family grave.  I intend to try to live until the Lord comes back and graves and crematoria couldn't be further from my mind.  If an epitaph becomes a necessary evil, it would be:  GET A LIFE AND LIVE THAT LIFE.

Praise the Lord Jesus, who came so that we could have life and have it more abundantlyl.


This is my weekly post for my blogging group, the Loose Blogging Consortium. We post weekly (usually simultaneously) on a given topic and visit each other to see the different takes we have on the same topic.  We are, in alphabetical order, AnuDeliriousRummuserGrannymarMaxi, Magpie, Maria SFocdwriterPadmumPaul, The Old FossilShackman and Will. If you have time, please visit my friends too.  

Comments

  1. You already have a lovely life and you are living it to the full!

    I would say Hari Om Thatsath! Let it be so with the grace of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your epitaph. After all, we only get one life here on earth, and we have eternity to think back on what we did with it. We should make the most of it while we can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As epitaphs go yours boggles the mind since you'll be dead (otherwise there wouldn't be an epitaph). Still, it'll give those who read it something to think about.

    Unlike your friend I don't think of "evening shadows ... encroaching". Spring is our youth, summer is when we sow and make hay, and autumn with all its earthy colours is the season when all that went on before comes together and we pick our rich harvest(which, by the way, is one of the reasons why I sometimes wish we could live life backwards - start with what we know and slowly unravel). And then comes winter. I love winter - if only for the contrast to the rest of the seasons. But it's cold. And have you ever noticed how snow silences sound?

    U

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Get a life!" - that could be interpreted as an insult - the sort of thing people younger than me might say. So - amusing to see it on a headstone.

    Ursula - you might have a look at Time's Arrow by martin Amis - life in reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grannymar: God knows I try.

    Padmum: Amen to that!

    Delirious: Right you are!

    Ursula: I like your style. So philosophical

    Blackwatertown: Ah! I wouldn't insult anyone for the world.

    Stickhorsecowgirls: Yay, V and C. So glad to see you over here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…