Skip to main content

Olympics - Loose Blogging Consortium Post

I'm 49 this year.  For some unknown reason, I have very clear memories of the 1976 Montreal Olympics.  Well, watching them on television, naturally.  I was 13 years old and living in Dublin. I couldn't have gone there even if I'd wanted to.

I remember vividly watching Nadia Comaneci scoring her perfect tens on the assymetric bars and the horse, not to mention her pert gymnastic dance routine on what was (and probably still is) known as the floor exercises.  She was regarded with something like awe both by me and by my peers.  It was with ill-concealed envy that she was regarded by all of us, yet we knew deep down that she was probably going to peak at, like, sixteen (or was it fifteen?) years of age and spend the rest of her life as a former world champion.  Everyone was aware that the inexorable soviet-cloned machine that was the Romanian administration picked these children out of the system and removed them from their families in order to make them world champions.  But we still envied her like mad.

Yes, there's something glamorous about the whole pageantry that is the Olympic Games.  From the mesmerising ceremony on Mount Olympus to the Olympic Flame touring the world, it has a  magical quality.  But this year it has just passed me by.  I missed the ceremonies and haven't even seen a single event being broadcasted.

When I lived in Ireland, I found it sad that my country hardly made an impression on the medals.  Ireland would get a silver medal or two, maybe a bronze and rarely a gold.  Ireland is, however, a tiny country, so it's hardly surprising.  India, where I live now, is a behemoth in comparison with Ireland, yet surprisingly, India's performance is hardly better than Ireland's has ever been.

When Yash and I were in Dublin recently, hanging out in Grafton Street without our kids, we met a young Sikh man who was accompanying  an elder Sikh gentleman who was chatting away on a mobile, oblivious to the world.  Yash and the young Sikh struck up a conversation.  Yash explained that we were on holidays from Lucknow visiting my family.  The young man introduced himself as an immigrant from Punjab who was driving a taxi for a living.  The elderly gentleman accompanying him was, he confided, the coach of the Indian Olympic Boxing team.  This was quite an exciting piece of information.  The elderly gentleman put away his mobile and said 'namaste' to us.  It's a nice memory.

I wish both India and Ireland all the best in the current Olympic Games.


This is the weekly post for my blogging group, the Loose Blogging Consortium. We post weekly (usually simultaneously) on a given topic and visit each other to see the different takes we have on the same topic. We are, in alphabetical order, Delirious, Rummuser, Grannymar, Magpie, Maria SF, ocdwriter, Padmum, Paul,Rohit , The Old Fossil, Shackman and Will. If you have time, please visit my friends too.  This topic was suggested by Shackman.

Comments

  1. You can't get away from the Indian anywhere in the world and the Sardars are getting to be as ubiquitous as the Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it, bhaiya!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get behind the Olympics at all, never have done if I'm honest. But since they started I've enjoyed watching some of the events and seeing the incredible athletes taking part. I'd like all the countries to get at least one gold medal, I do think they deserve it after all the hard work they put into it.

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Countries that build momentum around the Olympics seem to have the most athletes involved in the games.

    How nice for you and Yash to meet the coach of the Indian Olympic Boxing team.

    Blessings - Maxi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Countries that build momentum around the Olympics seem to have the most athletes involved in the games.

    How nice for you and Yash to meet the coach of the Indian Olympic Boxing team.

    Blessings - Maxi

    ReplyDelete
  6. On your visit to my blog today, you will have seen from my follow up post the the LBC one last Friday, that the Hype Games leave me cold.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…