Skip to main content

The Joy of Giving

I have a friend, Nidhi, who lives, like I do, in a combined family, several branches and generations of a family living under one roof.  Her husband Samir is the eldest son of the family.  Nidhi is a housewife, while her husband's younger brother's wife is a manager.  The second couple have two incomes and live very well, have a very good car etc., while Nidhi's husband is the sole earner of their unit.  Nidhi is irked, however, by the fact that her husband Samir pays the lion's share of the household bills on the grounds that he is the elder brother and has a responsibility to take care of the family.  She has argued with with him repeatedly over this.  The final straw came just a week ago.  Samir came home a bag of samosas for his family to eat.  These are delicious pastries filled with potato curry, excellent with hot tea.  Before he distributed the snacks to his own family, he gave some to his elderly mother (naturally) and then insisted on walking into his brother's room and offering samosas to every member of his family.  The result was that there were just two samosas left when he gave the bag to Nidhi.  For him, Nidhi and their two children.

"We can share them," he said, somewhat sheepishly.  "Didn't realize we'd need so many."  Nidhi just turned her eyes heavenwards.  What was the point in arguing?  It was useless to argue with Samir.  He's too kind to argue with.  Moreover, Nidhi knew that if she told Samir that his brother's wife had made a big plateful of pakodas which she had shared with the elderly mother but not Nidhi and her two children, Samir would accuse her of being immature, selfish  and comparing herself with others.

"There is no joy in giving to people who have so much already, especially when one is left short by it," she told me afterwards."

A few days later, Nidhi found a sadhu (holy beggar) at the gate, begging for some cloth to keep him warm in the cold weather.  The sadhu was thin, dark and bony,  His matted hair hung down his body.  He wore a loin cloth and a jute sack around his bare back.  Her heart went out to him.  She went inside the house and took out a long, woollen shawl sometimes worn by Samir.  Knowing well that Samir had other shawls, she gave the shawl to the old sadhu, who put it on immediately.  It warmed her heart to see him happy. Nidhi felt great joy in her heart to give something useful to this creature in need.

She thanked God for showing her the joy of giving.  But she is adamant about one thing.

"Next time Samir comes home with something to eat, I'll take the bag from his hand at the door and tell him to sit down and leave the distribution to me," she told me.  "I'll serve my family first and whatever is left, I'll share with the others."

She's absolutely right, of course!

This is the weekly post for my blogging group, the Loose Blogging Consortium.  We post weekly (usually simultaneously) on a given topic and visit each other to see the different takes we have on the same topic.  We are, in alphabetical order, Conrad, Delirious, Rummuser,  Grannymar, Magpie, Maria SF, ocdwriter, Padmum, Paul, Rohit and Will.  If you have time, please visit my friends too.
This topic 'The Joy of Giving' was suggested by Rohit.


Comments

  1. This is the common feature of living in a joint family. My father-in-law was like that--distributing everything even before he reached home.

    We tend to think that we are well off only because of his generosity and the good karma that he created.

    My mother cooked and served food to hundreds of people..never asked who they were, what cast, creed or religion. She also helped many with their medical problems, going with ill friends to hospitals and taking care of them. People still remember her cooking and her caring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, some are much better at distribution. This is true of societies as well as individuals. As you say, it often goes to those without true need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing is lovely, but above all, sharing should be practical. If someone ignores the need of his or her dependents in order to look good in the eyes of others it is definitely time to get one's priorities in order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only read a few of the Friday Theme, but it is so interesting to see the "stories around giving" and also of the "taking"

    We can learn so much from one another's culture and family way of life - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria,

    Great theme! Joy of giving- it's a wonderful feeling, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this made me smile....

    It is so hard to constantly swallow disrespectful, thoughtless behavior. Usually when faced with someone in lesser straits, our hearts are replenished. So hard as a Christian to constantly turn that other cheek; I love samosas and would be hard-pressed to think charitable notions toward those who ill deserved them. I think to the parable about the talents. Sometimes we're put into moments when a little managing is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, family politics! How many homes in India face exactly the same situations! There is only one solution and that is getting to be the most popular one too in all the big cities of India. Go to nuclear family situations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…