Skip to main content

Marriage

As we are all aware, marriage is the human institution where two people, one male and one female, come together for the purposes of creating a family.  The union is usually sealed with a civil or a religious ceremony.  Of course, many people raise families without the benefit of a ceremony, but that's a modern trend and a personal choice.

When Yash and I decided to marry, I wasn't a bit put off by the fact that we were different cultures and religions.  We were human beings, weren't we?  Well, yes.  The problem is, as I didn't yet realize, eastern perceptions and western perceptions of marriage are quite similar and yet rather different as the cultural perceptions are different.  Eighteen years later it all makes sense, but it drove me mad initially.

In the west, because, I suppose, of the Christian perspective, two people getting married usually set up a new home independent of the homes either of them originated from.  That's based on the Biblical verse that a man leaves his father and mother and cleaves only unto his wife.  I had yet to learn that in the east, a man cleaves  unto his parents until death us do part and the missus had better realize this or else she's in a bit of trouble.  Or a lot of trouble depending on the family.

Of course not all cultural groups in India are innately patriarchal, but I'm afraid most of them are.  A girl is considered to have actually cut ties with her natal family after marriage and henceforward, she belongs to the husband's family.  For example, her husband's parents would be considered to be the 'real' grandparents of her children, and maybe even in the eyes of some cultural groups, the legal guardians.  That's a bitter pill for a feminist to swallow.  Not to mention one of western origin.

In those long ago, early days, I dreamed of Yash and I moving out to a house of our own as the ultimate nirvana.  It came as a bit of a shock to realize that this would be considered as traitorous to the family group.  His elder brother and his family don't live with us, but that's because he happens to have a job far away poor thing.    Poor thing?  I was jealous!

But time moved on.  I continued to bring up my children as close to my own way as possible.  I continued with my passion for reading and writing.  I continued to read my Bible and meditate on it.  And do you know what?  I've learnt to make the best of my situation and even be thankful for it (sometimes!).

I think this is the marital skill that Indians call 'adjustment'.  I call it being flexible.  But I do know that I couldn't have saved my east/west marriage without it.



This is my weekly post for the Loose Blogger Consortium. We are a group of bloggers from different parts of the world with diverse views and styles of writing, and we post simultaneously (well, we try to) on a weekly basis on a given topic.  Our members  are, in no particular order,  Anu,  Maria Silverfox,   Magpie, Will Knott,   Rohit,  Noor, JoePaulAkankshaDelirious, Padmini, AshokConrad, Maria, Grannymar, and Rummuser.  This topic 'Marriage' was chosen by Conrad  





Comments

  1. I agree with you....it's all about flexibility! We can make our life as happy, or as unhappy as we choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was ok for elder brother and his family to move to a home of their own, then why is it so different for you and Yash? After all, he works in a different city to where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tongue must be bitten through - also your lip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have indeed done well and I have no doubts that you will continue to. What you call it is unimportant. What matters is the willingness to do what it takes to keep the marriage intact. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are marvellous and have obviously made a success of the marriage through your attitiude.
    Far different from many MIL & DIL relationships over here.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. How right you are...the 'adjustment' has to be mostly on the woman's part. In my mother's time it was 99%. In my time it has been 80 : 20. In my daughter and daughter-in-law's times it has slightly improved to 70 : 30. I wonder what it will be in your daughter and my granddaughter's times?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, but to me as a person of cross-cultural marriage, it's about compromise. I have to compromise for my husband's culture and he has to do it for me.

    Thanks, it was great reading this post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…