Skip to main content

Petition!

This blog has been rather quiet lately.  I've been writing a lot of short stories and am struggling with a novel at the moment not to mention my four kids who are off on their summer holidays.  They are, however, going back to school soon.

There is a blogger who is very dear to my heart, but it's not one of my usual readers.  This blogger and blog couldn't be more different from me and mine, but it really doesn't matter. She's a housewife from the upper strata of middle class life in London and I'm a struggling housewife/student/aspiring writer here in north India.  But we share a common bond.  She was the one who inspired me to blog.  She is DulwichMum.

DulwichMum is going through major despair at the moment.  As a mother of schoolgoing children, she is horrified that her local borough council in London has decided to axe some of the Lollipop Men and Lollipop Ladies who make the roads safer for the schoolchildren to cross on the way to school.  For the sake of a few pounds, the lives of schoolchildren are being put at risk.  DulwichMum is promoting a campaign to save the Lollipop people.  So, because what matters to DM matters to me, I'm posting the link to the petition here.  So if any of my blogging friends show up here, please go over and sign the petition.  I'm not widely read these days I know, but every little helps.  Please go and sign the petition and DulwichMum and I will owe you our eternal gratitude!

And here's the link.

And here's the link to DM's inspiring post on the subject.



Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…