Skip to main content

Respect for Life

It has been several weeks since I have done my regular Loose Blogger Consortium post.  But today's topic is close to my heart, so even though I'm late, I've ot a few spare minutes and I've decided to do itAnyone who knows me or even reads my blog regularly will know that I was born and brought up in a Roman Catholic family in Ireland, which is as Catholic a country as you will find in the English speaking world.  I was quite a devotee of the whole 'Catholic' way of life until the Murphy Report of late 2009 (and 2010) in Ireland awakened a few old memories and shattered my illusions.  I now style myself as Christian and nothing else.

However, the values inculcated by my upbringing will probably never leave me.  Respect for life is paramount in my philosophy.  I am totally opposed to abortion and mercy  killing.  Human life is sacred.  In my opinion, when respect for life goes, nothing is left.

India, where I live, has a large population problem.  For many years, there has been a huge family planning propaganda machine in operation.  You will seldom find an Indian middle class family with more than two children nowadays.  In fact, one child is the growing norm.  

Yash, my husband, never tells anyone he is a father of four if he can help it.  He might talk about 'my son' or 'my daughter' or mention having 'two sons' or 'two daughters'.  Years ago, when I'd just given birth to my little Nitin, now eight, I remember having to pick up my infant and go into a back room in the house when some unexpected visitors arrived from Yash's office.  He commutes to the next city for work, so very few people know about our four.

I don't blame my husband for this.  He is a quiet sort of person who doesn't like to disclose much about himself.  Moreover, he has been the subject of some very cruel remarks when people came to know about his parental status.  It is truly mortifying to be asked (by a person maybe half your age) "Daktar Sahib, how did this happen?  You are an educated man!"  I was sickened by this particular remark, and I chipped in "Would you like me to draw you a picture?"  Such ignorance.

I was in my thirties when I got married.  I breastfed my children for years, not months.  I used some form of family planning every time after the birth of the first child.  Still I got four of them.  I couldn't seem to help it.

One day Yash's friend  Ravi  visited our house with his wife, Gauri.  Gauri wasn't looking well at all.  I wondered why they didn't have their (two!) kids with  them.  Gauri had been to see a doctor and was carrying a huge bag of medicines.

The two husbands went out for a while, probably to the nearest shop for a smoke.  I asked Gauri what was wrong with her.  You know, woman to woman, very discreet.  Imagine my shock when she told me she'd just had her THIRD abortion?

I don't want to judge anyone.  It's not my place to do so.  But three?  And her husband was back soon, laughing and chatting away, not a care in the world.  I felt like walking up and asking him why couldn't he do something to stop putting his wife through this agony?  What a nice man, perfect family.  Only two kids you know?  How sophisticated.  Not like Yash and Mrs. Yash, a pair of fools if ever you saw them.  You know they have FOUR?  In this day and age?  Overpopulating the country!

Accuse me of overpopulating as many countries as you like.  But at least I kept my children.  

With no malice towards anyone whosoever. 

Poor Gauri.


This is my weekly post for the Loose Blogger Consortium. We are a group of bloggers from different parts of the world with diverse views and styles of writing, and we post simultaneously (well, we try to) on a weekly basis on a given topic.  Our members  are, in no particular order,    AkankshaDelirious, Padmini, AshokConrad, gaelikaa, Grannymar, and Rummuser. This topic 'Respect for Life' was chosen by Conrad.


If you would like to leave a comment please click on the heading and wait for the Intense Debate Comment System to load.  Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…