Skip to main content

Double LBC Post

From now on, my weekly LBC post will appear on this blog, instead of at 'Out of Ireland, Into India.'  I've decided that I don't need more than one blog.

There was a special LBC post this week, on Wednesday.  Unfortunately I missed the boat there.   I was caught up with my everyday life and didn't come to know about it until it was too late.  Here's the post now.


Fiction Friction - Rummuser's Writing Workshop


"You can't be serious," he said.  "I won't do it."

"Please," she said.  "You must!  Who else can I turn to for this favour?"

"Not me," he replied.  "Ask someone else."

"But you're his cousin and you're close to him.  Well sort of...."

"He's not right for you!"

"How can you decide such a thing?"

"Well, it's obvious, isn't it?  You're a doctor.  He on the other hand, is a school dropout."

"He's still a professional."

"Professional footballer does not count as a real profession."

"Hey, who are you to judge?  Anyway, I like him.  Introduce me.  Please!"

"But you need someone more qualified than him..."

"What do you mean?  I may be a doctor but I'm a woman and I have the same feelings as other women.  Can you understand that?  Help me.  Please."

"Okay."

* * * * * *

Bryan sat on the park bench beside the couple who were clearly engrossed in each other.  He hated himself for staying but he just couldn't tear himself away.  The trouble was, that although he loved Suzanne,  his old college friend, she didn't know it.  She'd even insisted that he introduce her to his cousin Craig, which added insult to injury.

The couple were getting along like a house on fire.  Not surprising really.  She'd dumbed down a lot.  Gone were the strong opinions.   Instead of her usual bold statements, she was all coy giggles and sidelong glances.  She had also abandoned her former assertive style of dressing and now dressed like a babe.  Bryan didn't really object to that, he just wasn't comfortable with the world seeing her like that. The worst part was that she didn't appreciate him.  Was he so awful looking?  He had never been short of girlfriends and as far as he could  remember none of them  ever had any complaints.

He was thinking up a way to leave the company when he became aware of a light pressure on his hand.  It was her!  I still need you, friend, she seemed to be saying.  Please stay around.  He smiled.  Maybe one of these fine days she would wake up to the fact that arm candy with no mental stimulation was not the way to go.  Maybe she'd even consider a relationship with him.

Don't take too long, he thought back in her direction.  I may not stay around for much longer.




Obsessions

This is a topic on which I could write forever.  But it would probably be cliched and boring.  So I'll abstain from the type of post I usually write.

My obsession as of now, is why on earth Rummuser suggested the above photo as a topic.  It seems to point to the fact that a post on infidelity in relationships is required, female infidelity in particular. I personally think that infidelity is no more prevalent in females than it is in males.  It just depends on the person, that's all.

I'm quite accustomed to doing writing workshop posts.  I treat it as a type of game in which I test my fiction writing skills.  It could have a prompt in the form of a sentence which has to be included in the body of the post or it could be a photograph, or even both.  But I didn't write about infidelity, I wrote about a woman who is obsessed with a man who is a babe magnet as opposed to a man who is her intellectual equal.  I don't know why she does it, even though I've technically created the character.  I've written a fair bit of fiction recently and I find it amazing how characters often take on a life of their own after they've come through your mind and into your writing.

The main character, Bryan, is wondering why Suzanne couldn't have been attracted to him, presumably a doctor too.

There are many things to which we shall never know the answers.  Probably just as well.

This topic ('Obsessions') as well as the above photo prompt was chosen by Rummuser.  This is my weekly post for the Loose Blogger Consortium. We are a group of bloggers from different parts of the world with diverse views and styles of writing, and we post simultaneously (well, we try to) on a weekly basis on a given topic.  Currently active members are, in alphabetical order AshokConrad, gaelikaa, Grannymar, Maria and Rummuser

Intense Debate comment system is installed. If you would like to leave a comment, please click on the title of this post and allow a little time for the comment system to load - thanks


Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…