Skip to main content

A Walk Around My Garden - Writing Workshop

Writing practise is always helpful.  This week I've decided to join the writing workshop at 'Sleep is for the Weak', a blog which I discovered recently.  I was inspired by the third prompt   "A Walk  Around Your Garden", and this is what I have come up with.






A Walk Around My Garden

Well, I live in a house that has a garden, but technically, it's not MY garden.  We have a two storey house, which my family shares with one other family and a senior relative.  In other words, my husband, my kids and I live in a house along with my husband's brother's family and my husband's mother.  A nice combined family set up.  But it can't last forever, can it?  As the kids grow and the family's needs change, we'll have to go our separate ways.  It's only natural.  I plan to make the upstairs our own, and as the weather cools down as summer advances into autumn, I plan to do just that.  And the garden?  Yes, I'm coming to that.

The garden is attached to the downstairs and was the pride of my late father-in-law.  He grew wonderfully useful plants.  There was (and still is!) a lemon tree.  Living in India I've come to know how useful lemons are!  Does anyone know that lemon trees keep mosquitoes away?  And lemonade is a wonderfully cooling drink (well, everyone knows that!).  There was a neem tree (gone now!) which produces leaves which are great for keeping insects  out of clothes stored up for the winter (or the summer!) months.  And of course the ubiquitous tulsi plant, worshipped in Hindu homes.  The tulsi is great for treating coughs and colds.  You can add the leaves to tea, or chew them just like that.  But don't pluck the leaves on Wednesdays and Sundays.  Alas!  Father-in-law knew that no-one would have the time to maintain the garden, so he had it cemented over the year before his death.  Only a few plants remain, close to the walls.  Thankfully, the lemon tree and tulsi plants remain.You want to know what my dream for moving upstairs is?   It's to have a terrace garden in the open spaces upstairs.  I'll need lots of those ceramic flowerpots.  I'll have to water them a lot.  I want lots of lemon trees to keep the mosquitoes away.  Not to mention my very own tulsi plant.

I've visions of sitting having my morning tea in the terrace garden of my dreams when my kids have gone to school and my husband has gone to work.   This can only be on winter mornings, naturally.  The Indian sun is quite manageable then.  And I'll write and write and write away to my heart's content.  And read too, of course.  This is the dream that keeps me going when I'm up to my ears in housework.

Turning our dreams into reality keeps the edge of excitement in our lives!

This post originally appeared on Write Away on WordPress on 9/6/2010

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…