Skip to main content

Light! Or the Absence of it....(Writing Workshop)

Load shedding is a wonderful term.  I don't have any idea what it means.  I only know that it refers to power cuts where I live.  Out here in India, we experience power cuts quite frequently.  It can mean agony, depending on the season.  If it happens during the day in the summer season, it means the absence of cool air.  If it happens at night, whatever the season, it means the absence of light.

Light is one of those things that you never miss until you lose it.  You're suddenly, often without warning, plunged into a black depth and you're desperately scrabbling for a torch, matches, candles, anything!  You inwardly thank Heaven if you've cooked your dinner and fed your kids before it happens.  It means tension for the parents of young children.  Searching for your children in the dark is not a good place to be.  Sensible people keep emergency lights ready and even emergency power systems are in place in many houses - some of us use inverters which are devices to store a spare supply of power in order to maintain an emergency light or fan to stave off wilting completely in the heat.  Others maintain large, noisy generators which sound like a small aeroplances - or maybe even large aeroplanes.  But sometimes the power cut goes on for too long and even these emergency power systems can burn out as we wait in agony for the pain to end and the power to return, for the light to come back,for the fans to start whirring again and yes, even for water to flow from the taps....

I remember once, during a summer power cut, I accidentally set my bed on fire.  The light went just after dinner.  We all went outside to sit in  the dark.  It was somewhat cooler there and we wanted to wait for the light to return.  I searched desperately for my footwear, a pair of chappals (open sandals).  Scrabbling around with a candle in hand, I took a quick look under my bed.  Failing to find them, I went away.   Then a flare of light was noticed in my room.  I ran in and saw the bedsheet had caught fire.  Yellow flames were leaping and licking the dark air.  Luckily, I was able to smother the fire in a relatively short time.  The bed escaped damage and only the bed covering, a light cotton sheet, was damaged so as to be rendered unusable.

So well that ends well?  Not quite.   I rejoiced at the minimal damage.  My mother-in-law, however, was furious over the fate of the bedsheet.  When my children asked her why she would not talk to me, she told them to ask their mother why she had burnt a brand new bedsheet!  As if I'd done it on purpose and not by accident!

As I said, power cuts are a nuisance.  I pray that they will be minimal, this year and every year.  So let the light shine!


Writing practise is always good.  This post has been inspired by prompt no. 5, 'Light', at Writing Workshop #28 at the Sleep is for the Weak blog authored by Josie George


This post originally appeared on Write Away on WordPress on 24/06/2010

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…