Skip to main content

I Comment Therefore I Am #3

I was over visiting Lisleman's blog A Few Clowns Short of a Circus recently,  he mentioned a rather ridiculous sounding job he'd come across - a fish sniffer.  He hadn't known it was a career option and till then, neither had I.  It made me rack my brains for a ridiculous sounding job I had heard about.  So I commented as follows:

I remember once asking a girl I knew what she did for a living. She told me she was a sausage linker. WTF, I thought. Apparently it was some class of a specialized skill. She was inordinately proud of this. I had trouble keeping a straight face. I suppose that's what happens when you lead a sheltered life....

If any fish sniffers or sausage linkers are reading this post right now, I offer my sincere apologies for laughing my head off at your job title.  I just couldn't help it, dammit.

I visited Rohini over at Mama Says So.   That's an Indian mummy blogger whose blog has a huge following.  Rohini is a working mother of two young children, a boy aged about six and a new baby girl.  She was posting on how her little son used to write on the walls years ago and has now blossomed into quite a good artist.  That post jogged an old memory for me and I found myself commenting:

About ten years back some relatives of ours who were based in Mumbai got their daughter engaged to a boy in our city, Lucknow. As my father-in-law was technically the girl's grandfather and as the boy's family were in no mood to bring a baraat to far-away Maharashtra, it fell to us to host the wedding from the girl's side. A few days before the proceedings were about to begin, my daughter Mel, who was going through the terrible twos, covered the drawing room wall with crayon sketches. My normally indulgent in-laws were horrified and got really angry. There was nothing for me to do but get a bucket of hot water and soap and a scrubbing brush and scrub those walls. Luckily, I was able to get rid of the mess and my father-in-law was very appreciative in the end, but I was careful to give her plenty of paper and a blackboard to write on after that!
Oh, yes and boy was I tired afterwards!  That comment was probably pretty well understood by Rohini, who is an Indian born and bred but some of my other readers might not relate.  Just to fill you in, the word 'baraat' refers to the wedding procession of the groom to the bride's house, to marry her and take her back.  My life is a crazy mixture of western and Indian happenings and ideas, as this comment will explain, what with being Irish and being married to an Indian and living in India.

One of my favourite bloggers is Blogaire of the wondrous blog Suil Eile.  This dedicated blogger takes photos of wherever he is, particularly Dublin, my home city and posts them on his blog.  I often tell him that thanks to his blog I get to visit my home city almost every day.

I was visiting his blog the other day and saw a photograph of a small cinema, the Screen Cinema in Dublin.  The remarkable feature of this cinema is that right outside there is a big stone statue of  'Mr Screen', a cinema usher.  Blogaire observed that Mr. Screen looks quite fierce so you wouldn't want to cross him but once he gives you the go ahead, the magic of the silver screen awaits.  This post awakened some long forgotten memories in me and I commented:

Oh, you' ve brought me back in time. I remember Mr. Screen. That cinema is lovely too. I used to visit there for afternoon shows on my day off years ago...
I didn't have the nerve to snatch Blogaire's beguiling photo of Mr. Screen but a click here  will take you there.....




I Comment Therefore I Am is hosted by Unknown Mami.

This post originally appeared in Write Away on WordPress on 26/7/2010

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…