Skip to main content

I Comment Therefore I Am #2

I visited the Indian blog Hindustree, authored by writer Padmini Natarajan.  The subject of the post was 'Mother' and Padmini dealt with the subject in a complete manner.   She mentioned that fact that mothers often remember and long for a child who is absent.  They often call their other children by the name of the missed child.  She is right.  I've often noticed mothers doing that.   I never saw this mentioned in an article before, though.  At the end of the post, it was briefly mentioned that a mother is also a mother-in-law.  A thought struck me and I commented as follows:

I thought that this was a great post and you brought up some interesting aspects of motherhood which are usually missed, such as the mis-calling of a child by its sibling's name.  The very last paragraph struck me as something which could be further elaborated.  Mothers are seen as loving, caring and nurturing.  Which they mostly are.  The stereotypical mother-in-law is usually more of a monster-in-law, domineering and oppressive.  I heard a joke once that elaborated on the famous Jewish proverb that God could not be everywhere so he made mothers. This goes further and said that the devil could not be everywhere so he made mothers-in-law.  Yet both mother and mother-in-law reside in the same woman.  Isn't that the most amazing contradiction?  I think so!

I regularly visit the blog of my fellow Irish blogger Grannymar.  In the post I visited she was showing a photo of an old family recipe book which contained scores of recipes handwritten by members of her family, such as her mother, her sister and Grannymar herself.  One of the commenters, Bikehikebabe, picked up on the fact that Grannymar called her mother 'Mammy' and mentioned that in the USA, 'mammy' was a name given to a servant (or back in the ante-bellum days, 'slave') of African American origin.  So I commented:

I always called my mother 'mammy' too when I was small and sometimes I still do.  My children call her 'nani' because that's what Indian children call their mother's mother.  In fact not only mine, but all the granchildren in my in-law's family, cousins and all call her 'nani'.

When I started reading I noticed that 'mammy' became 'mommy' on the United States and 'mummy' in England.  My husband always calls his mother 'mummy'.  I suppose it's because Indians follow British English.  I remember seeing that 'mammy' in the movie 'Gone With The Wind' played by an actress called Hattie McDaniel.  She was a servant or I suppose slave as it was in that time, of African-American origin.

Whether it's Mammy, Mummy or Mommy is only a matter of accent.  In that comment I was also referring to the fact that my mother is a grandmother not only to my children, but to all the children in my in-law family.  As an Irish woman married to an Indian and living in India, my life is a nice blend of both Indian and Irish family life.

I visited the Cheerful Monk blog authored by Jean Browman.  Jean's post was about the eccentricities of some people regarding their pets.  I commented:
 
I know a woman who is middle aged and yet unmarried. She has a pet dog and apparently spends a fortune on it. I’ve heard that the dog is better dressed (and accessorised) than most people. I have nothing to say about this as such, but I suppose everyone is different. For some, the main focus of their lives might be their kids, for others it may be their kids, or maybe someone or something else. It depends on what course your life takes.


Unknown Mami does this every week and this week, I’ve done it too.  Thanks to Unknown Mami for the inspiration.

This post first appeared on Write Away on WordPress on 19/7/2010

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…