Skip to main content

All's Well That Ends Well - Writing Workshop

In February, I got the shock of my life.   My son Nitin, aged 6,  in Senior Infants, was due to finish his school year at the end of March and be promoted to 1st Class, for the school year commencing at the beginning of April.

His teacher informed me that he could not be promoted.  Not a chance!  I was devastated.  It is not as if I am the type of parent who brags about my offspring's academic achievements.  But another year in infant classes for a child who was perfectly intelligent?  It didn't bear thinking about!  We had already allowed him to complete an extra year in Junior Infants on his teacher's recommendation, so he wouldn't feel pressurised.  Not to mention the year of pre-nursery before that.  Oh, man, would this kid ever get out of the nursery and start real school?

I went before the headmaster to plead my case.  Another year wasted would mean considerable financial loss (his school is an expensive, fee-paying one).  Also, he'd be nearly 20 completing school and would get very late for higher studies.  I promised to teach him at home to make up for the shortfall in his knowledge.   Thankfully, the head saw my point and agreed.  Then I was called to the school by his class teacher.  She informed me that it would be cruel to put the child into 1st class when he was obviously not able for it.  He would be given a deferred promotion.  In north India where we live, the school year commences in April.  However, it breaks in mid-May until the end of June for the summer holidays.  In July, we should bring him to school, get him tested and if found worthy, the promotion would be granted.

How had this happened?  Well, after retaining him for an extra year in Junior Infants, we were sure the Senior Infants year would be manageable.  It just so happens that in Nitin's school, they teach children cursive writing in Senior Infants.  My daughters, who are in a convent school, didn't learn it until 3rd Class.  In Nitin's Senior Infants year, his grandfather, who lived with us, was experiencing  health problems.  The whole house (we live in an extended family, three generations under one roof) was in a state of emergency.  Then the grandfather died.  The house was swamped with relatives.  So Nitin didn't get the parental support with his studies  that he should have got.

There was nothing to do but try to bring up his standard in the school holidays.  I called him for studies every day.  I concentrated on English reading because  children need to read before they can write.  I didn't worry  about mathematics because I knew he was good at that.  As for Hindi, my mother-in-law took care of that.

At the beginning of July,  I  learnt that there was a new principal who knew nothing about my case.    Back to square one.  I was also told that there was no chance of considering my case before the end of July, the official term end.  It was agony when people  asked me what class he was in and about marks and ranks and such matters.      If I was in the mood, I'd mention 'deferred promotion'.  If I was not, I just smiled and said he was in first, praying that it would soon be true.  My husband, who has a rather pessimistic disposition, declared that he was totally depressed with the child's performance and I heard sniggers behind my back, 'she didn't teach him properly in the holidays'.

I was called to a parent teacher meeting early this week to discuss certain changes in school policy.  I decided to bring up the subject of Nitin's deferred promotion one more time before it was too late.  Imagine my surprise when the teacher smiled at me and told me that Nitin  had been been promoted that very day   Instead of a formal test which would have to be crammed for at home, he was informally assessed at school over several days.  This is in keeping with  new school policy.  After six months of tension, I feel so relieved.

I'm happy now.  So is he.  He's travelling to school in a van with the big children, including his brother Neil in Class 9.  I've purchased the books and copies and will spend the evening covering them.

It really is true in my case - all's well that ends well!



Writing practise is always good.  For the past several weeks I have been participating in the Writer’s Workshop over at Sleep  is for the Weak authored by Josie George.  The third prompt for this week (Week 32#) was ‘All's Well That Ends Well’ and this was the one which inspired me.

This post originally appeared on Write Away on WordPress on 29/7/2010

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…