Skip to main content

Home to visit Mother!

Ashi is a woman who lives in our neighbourhood.  We don't know her as Mrs. Anything, only Ashi because she was a friend of my mother-in-law from long back.  About a year ago, she visited us with wedding invitations.  Her daughter Lalita was about to be married.  I knew that Asha had a daughter but I didn't know her very well as the family is not English speaking, so our opportunities for convesation are limited.  My Hindi is not very good, unfortunately, just limited to basics.  Unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of Ashi's kind invitation because on the very same day, a relative of ours was to be married and we had to attend that wedding.  So we gave our regrets.

Recently, Ashi returned again with invitations, this time a verbal one, not a card.  Lalita, she informed us, had recently given birth to a daughter and she had come home to visit her family.  The ladies of our house were invited to come around on Sunday evening.

My mother-in-law doesn't attend parties now.  She used to enjoy social gatherings, but keeps away from them since my father-in-law's death in January.  My sister-in-law was feeling unwell.  So it was left to me to attend.  My mother-in-law advised me to wear a sari.  I took my two youngest children along with me, having washed their faces and dressed them respectably.  Ashi's house is not too far away so it took a mere five minutes to walk there.  When I reached the house, I was instructed to go upstairs.  The main room upstairs was filled with women of all ages and stages, sitting mostly on the carpet.  I  looked around and saw the usual neighbourhood ladies who are always found at such gatherings.  'The usual suspects,' I call them.  I spotted my next door neighbour Mrs. Asha Singh, who called me to sit beside her.  I made my way over there.  Everyone was dressed up in their fine silk saris and gold chains and bangles were in evidence everywhere.

Earlier in the day, there head been a religious ceremony to invoke God's blessings on Lalita's newborn child.  Lalita looked radiant and very slim indeed, wearing a beautiful lehenga chunni.  That is the Rajasthani version of the sari, in the form of a skirt, blouse and veil.  Rajasthan is a state in western India, possibly this family's place of origin.  She looked completely happy and relaxed.  She and several of her sisters danced for the gathering to traditional Rajasthani music.  They were very good dancers, every last one of them.  Lalita seemed to be the most energetic of the lot of them, which I thought was amazing considering she'd recently delivered a baby.

After the dancing was finished, there was a dinner.  A typical north Indian feast with puris (fried bread), rice and various vegetarian curries.  All delicious, of course.  When we finished eating, we took leave of our hostess, gave our good wishes and left.  Me, Mrs. Asha Singh and my two kids.  It was a very enjoyable evening.  I haven't been to too many parties like that.  Apparently, this is one tradition that's not kept very much anymore - having a party for daughter who has come home after her first delivery at her in-law's house.  But it was good to have the opportunity to see this tradition.  It was a very enjoyable evening.


I've just had a new comment system installed.  If you would like to leave a comment, please click on the title of this post and allow a little time for the comment system to load - thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…