Skip to main content

Haldi Milk

There's a spice called 'haldi' in Hindi, turmeric in English.  It is a beautiful golden colour.  It is used for flavouring and colouring dishes.  I'm not terribly fond of haldi and far prefer cook dishes which don't require it.  I am not very good at cooking it properly.  My husband is very particular about cooking the haldi properly and many times, if I cook it, he swears it's still raw, even if the children and I think it's all right.

There is one thing for which I love haldi.  It is very good for healing injuries.  If  you get a cut and have not antiseptic cream handy, you can mix haldi, found in any kitchen here in India,  with some cream and put it on the wound just like an antiseptic cream.  Haldi can stain clothes though, so you have to make sure it doesn't come into contact with any.  Haldi milk is very good for anyone who has been injured in an accident.  You'd have to add some sugar, though, otherwise it would be very bitter.  I drank that milk sometimes after my deliveries when we had none of those Horlicks type drinks in the house and found it quite palatable.  I'm sure it helped me to heal up too.  Well, it didn't harm me anyway.

Some people claim that haldi can whiten teeth as well, when mixed with salt and mustard oil and applied on the teeth. Others claim that it can whiten the complexion.  I know people who mix it with chickpea flour and cream and apply it on their skin for some time.  Well, I don't know about that.  My complexion is fair enough.  Besides, who says everyone has to have a fair complexion?  I think dark complexions are lovely.

Comments

  1. Gaelikaa, are you talking about using the turmeric root? Perhaps your husband is worried about heart burn or the chance of internal bleeding since it is known to thin the blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Gaelikaa, you know what's the best part about your blog? Everything you write about I already know because I belong to the same kinda culture, but I thoroughly enjoy reading your perspective about it! I know the use of Haldi very well, and have sometime used it for my face to make it clear and glowy not exactly white! :) I love my tan Asian complexion. It sets me apart from the white people! Something I realized after coming to Canada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that lovely complexions come in all shades and colour.
    I didn't know that turmeric had healing properties.... but I know that honey can be put straight onto wounds as that also has anti septic and can heal a wound and keep it clean.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me darker the better. I am a Tamilian remember?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought that turmeric might actually stain lighter skin orange (does anyone know if it does?). For browner skin I'm sure it adds a lovely glow. :-)

    And I'm with most people here.. the darker the skin the more BEAUTIFUL! :-) In Australia people are always trying to get darker skin, and some even buy 'fake tan' lotion!!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…