Skip to main content

How Did She Grow Up So Quickly?

About twenty years ago, I was in Ireland, living in my parents' home and saving every penny to come out to India to visit Yash, the man of my dreams.  I carefully accumulated as much leave as I could and when I had a full month's leave and enough money to buy an air ticket, I was gone to India to see my beloved.

We had the most idyllic time.  We travelled up and down north India on buses and even visited the Taj Mahal.  I also hung around while Yash worked.  In those days he worked for a government organisation based in the beautiful city of Srinagar.  Yash, along with some colleagues, rented some rooms in a house nearby the office, which was situated in a beautiful, leafy suburb.  Oh, yes, it was a leafy suburb all right.  Every single house on the road stood on its own plot of land.  You couldn't see the next door neighbour's house.  Yash's landlady Zeba used to grow her own vegetables and even some spices too.  I often noticed her picking saffron, which, pound for pound was more precious than gold!  At least it was then.  Yash and his colleagues rented a room each.  At dinner time, they worked communally, each in his own room.  One person made rice, one person made chapatis, one cooked a dal (pulse) and one cooked a sabzi (vegetable curry). 

I tried staying in a hotel, but I saw nothing of Yash except an hour in the evening.  So the people he lived with made some adjustments and I was given one of the rooms in their house while others shared.  We had to keep things very much above board and respectable.  One didn't want others to get the wrong idea, after all, heaven forbid.

One afternoon, while everyone was at the office, I was reading in my room when I noticed Yash's closest friend and colleague Devendra (who came from a village in Uttar Pradesh near Lucknow, Yash's city) was at home.  He told me he had a day off.  We chatted for a while. He seemed preoccupied, looking towards the door constantly.  Then, I noticed a young lady, dressed like a Punjabi in a shalwar suit standing in the doorway.  Devendra instantly jumped up and introduced me to her as "Miss Shalini", a teacher in the local government school.  Shalini is a first name.  Devendra was being very 'propah' indeed!  We chatted for a couple of minutes while I wondered what to make of the situation.  Then Devendra reminded me that I had earlier mentioned (had I?) that I had some clothes to wash.  He told me that I should go and wash them immediately and have the work finished before Yash came in from the office.  Oh really?  I'm not very quick, but it wasn't difficult to see that I was being 'got rid of'.  That pair wanted to be on their own!

I was fuming as I washed those clothes.  How dared Devendra get rid of me in such an obvious manner!  I looked obliquely at the couple from the kitchen sink.  They were still sitting in exactly the same place as they'd been.  I was madly curious.   Was this girl Devendra Kumar's girlfriend?  Yash had given me to understand that nice, respectable people here in India  didn't do things like that and that we were very odd indeed.  Well, we weren't as odd as Yash seemed to think, by the looks of things.

Clothes washed, I went off to read my book.  Shalini made tea and served me a cup, very shyly and smiling in a charming way.  Then she went into one of the kitchens and prepared rice, dal, sabzi and chapatis.  For Devendra and all his company's evening dinner.  By evening, she had disappeared.  

"Who is Shalini?" I asked Yash.

"A teacher in the local army school," he replied.

"Is she Devendra's girlfriend?" I asked.

"I don't know," Yash shrugged.

Of course I was right!  When I returned to visit Yash two years later, living as he was then in a city called Jammu, Devendra and Shalini were now a married couple.  They also had a new baby daughter, Akanksha and were living nearby.  Shalini's health was not very good and she was still recuperating from the delivery.  But how happy they were!  I'll never forget it!  They had gone trough the usual problems that Indians face when they want to marry out of community.  Devendra was from the Thakur community of Uttar Pradesh and Shalini belonged to a business community from the Punjab.  Although both sets of parents were deceased, they had to get the assent of their various relatives to go ahead with their plans to marry.  They bore it all patiently and were none the worse for it.

Now, it's twenty years later.  Devendra and Shalini are now living in another distant north Indian city, Patna.  Akanksha remains their only child, now a beautiful young woman who is studying commerce at university level.  Shalini's health is still not very good, but they are going on through life and are our closest friends, just like family.  Of course Yash and I have got married in the meantime and have four kids.  Akanksha is a elder wonderful elder sister ('didi') to my children and to my surprise,  is now a blogger!

I guess I should have seen it coming.  I've known about her urge to write for some time now.  She  had done a guest post on my blog in July, about a month back.  So I can't say I was surprised when she contacted me and asked me to visit her blog!  I can't believe that this little girl who has literally grown up in front of me is now making her way in the world.  Time flies so fast.

I'd just like to ask my regular readers to go over to Akanksha's blog (http://studentsdiary-anki.blogspot.comand have a look.  It would be nice if you could leave a comment for her and encourage her because we all know comments give great encouragement.  Thanks!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful story and such a happy ending, or perhaps a happy beginning. We often take our relationships for granted but there are those who are unable to do just that.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post today and would love to pop over to see Akanksha's blog, but the link isn't working.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. THNKU 4 WRITING SUCH A WONDERFUL POST..... I DON'T HAVE WORDS TO EXPLAIN HOW OVER WHELMED I AM .. THANK YOU.....N UMM.. YAA NICE 2 KNOW ABOUT MY PARENTS... NO1 EVER TOLD ME ABOUT ALL THIS...LOVE U... N TAKE CARE....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see a glimpse into your past. Will your daughters have to go through the same procedure as you and your friend, or has the strictness lessened some? Also, the link to Akanksha's blog isn't working. Could you check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story with a bit of an anticlimax at the end. Anyway, Anki seems to be destined for great things, and I shall indeed visit her blog and leave a comment whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story gaelikaa...and I have popped over to give Anki a few words of encouragement x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went over there but the small print and the white on black was too much for my aged eyes. Otherwise I would have read her post and left a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to Anki's blog by adding the "www" in front of 'student' in her url.

    Great topic.... love to hear voices of our youth and what they think of social changes across the globe.

    My nephews are growing up far to fast. I do not get to see them near enough. I can understnd your bewilderment in where Anki has arrived in young adulthood with a voice and wonderful aspirations so quickly. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always have me enthralled by your stories because you write them so well and I love to hear about the culture you are living in.
    I am on my way over now!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…