Skip to main content

Postman's Blunder

In the part of India where I live, it is quite easy to send a letter by courier.  In fact, it is easier for me to send a letter by courier than by the post.  There are several courier offices within walking distance of my house.  The post office is miles away.  You have to take the bus to get there.  Yes, the post is cheaper, but if you want to send something to someone once in a while, you'll take the easier option, right?  The courier delivers the piece personally and won't hand it over without a signature.  That's very reassuring.  The postman does that only in the case of registered lette

Our postman has the annoying habit of flinging letters over the gate.  Sometimes the letters land in the bushes.  Or depending on what's going in, they may land in a pool of water.  This happens particularly in the rainy season.  I subscribe to the 'Reader's Digest' magazine and recently, my monthly copy did not arrive.  I was wondering what had happened to my magazine.  Then my brother-in-law trimmed all the bushes around the front yard (you couldn't call it a garden because it is cemented over) and my magazine turned up.   It had been lying in the bushes for weeks.  I suppose I should be thankful it wasn't the rainy season.

The newspaper delivery man is hardly any better.  He flings the newspapers (one in Hindi and one in English) over the gate too and where they land is anyone's guess.  Mostly they're okay.  Sometimes they also land in the water.  Many is the time we had to dry the newspaper on the line before we could read it.

My late father-in-law always sat in the front of the house and went down to the gate to receive personally whatever was delivered, be it a letter or a newspaper.  I suppose that's why we never got a mailbox installed at the gate.  Well, the father-in-law passed away six months ago.  I think it's high time we got some kind of mailbox installed.  Otherwise the problem will continue.  Of course the newspaper delivery man will continue throwing the newspaper over the gate.  The answer here, however, is to be near the gate when the newspaper wallah flies by on his bike, so that the thrown newspaper won't get damaged.

Comments

  1. That can really be annoying at times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like to fix a mail box to your gate and request these guys to put all the mail and the newspapers inside that. In high rise flats like most buildings here, we are obliged to do that so that the postmen do not have to go to multiple floors to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad and funny at the same time. What a good man your father-in-law must have been. Maybe one of your children can take on this chore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started laughing then I got serious again... This is an issue! I hope you'll find a solution soon...
    Isn't anyone else in the family that could do it perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since living in Turkey I now appreciate how good the British postal system was/is. It's pretty hopeless here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…