Skip to main content

How Did This Happen?

When I was a single girl, I always swore, that should marriage happen to me, I would never be one of those 'smug married' types.  As a single woman whose boyfriend was living in a different continent, I didn't get the opportunity to flaunt my status as others were doing.  St. Valentines Day was particularly tedious as I had to put up with the girls in my office flaunting their roses and Valentine cards.  I wouldn't like to be a person who would put another poor soul through that type of misery.

Well, I couldn't have done it even if I wanted to.  My husband Yash has never showered me with roses nor Valentine cards.  If I ever complain about this matter he says "at least you have me!"  Flawless logic, I suppose.

One of the Hindu marriage symbols is 'sindoor' or red/maroon/orange powder worn in the hair parting (maang).  This is usually applied for the first time on the wife by the husband  during the marriage ceremony.  But to tell the truth, I only usually wear sindoor when I'm attending some function like a wedding, and usually dressed up in a sari. I am very partial to my glass bangles and silver toe rings, which are also marriage symbols and wear them all the time.  Unless I'm in western dress, I wear bindis (dots on the forehead - they come in sticker form)  but I wear the sindoor only occasionally. 

So imagine my surprise when I got up one morning recently and found freshly applied sindoor glowing on my forehead.  I couldn't believe it.  I had no idea how it got there.  The next morning it was the same.  I was very surprised.  Like I said, I'm not one to go around flaunting my marital status.  I like to keep quiet about things like that.  I think that women should build their own lives and not live through their husbands.  This is a deeply held principle of mine and I have no intention of changing it any time soon.

Yesterday morning, when I was just coming to awareness out of sleep, I saw my fourteen year old son Neil coming towards me with a pencil in his hand.  I saw him apply red powder on my forehead and I sat bolt upright in the bed.

"What are you doing, Neil?" I asked him.

"I'm trying to make you look like a married woman!" he replied.  Well there's no answer to that is there?  I suppose it's a bit of a problem explaining feminist principles to a fourteen year old boy.

Comments

  1. You mention many times the bangles and the toe rings. Do you wear a wedding ring like we do in the west?

    Maybe now is the time to broach your views on feminism to Neil, it can be easier when they are young, so long as the explanation is simple.

    Grannymar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww....... I can understand both sides of the story!
    You sound a bit like me, wanting to be your own self and Neil wanting to have a Mum like all the other Mums. I think compromise is what is needed!
    I love the exotic symbols of marriage in India but not the ownership.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing ending to that story. It makes me curious how you went from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaelikaa, I wouldn't be surprised if Neil is being asked about it by his peers, whose mothers routinely wear the sindoor. It might be a good idea to inform Neil that sindoor is not applied by sons to their mothers as the symbolism needs to be understood by him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh! Looks like you got a little boy struggling to come to terms between societal traditions. I guess he must have seen other women wear that and questioned why. Instead of asking you why you don't wear it, he took it upon himself to make you wear it. Do you think he is trying to take over as the dominant male?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…