Skip to main content

Back In Time...

When I came out to India in 1994, I had to spend long hours alone as my husband was out for most of the day, on his daily commute to the next city.  I spent a lot of time in the company of my two nephews, Praveen and Prabhat, who were about six and four years old respectively.

Praveen and Prabhat found it fascinating that I didn't speak Hindi and spoke only in English.  They had lots of opportunities to practise their English with me, as they were learning it in school.  I found it very amusing the way they used the language.

Like all kids, they loved to tease.  One day, they were in a very giddy mood, laughing a lot.

"Maria aunty is fat girl," I heard them calling out, laughing loudly.

"Boys!  What are you saying?" I asked them, pretending to frown and show a bit of annoyance.  I decided to play along with this.  Of course I knew I wasn't fat, but they had figured out that the best way to annoy a lady is to make remarks about how fat she is.  Yes, they were smart all right.  And thrilled to think that they had annoyed me.

Later that day, I was lying down in my room, having locked my door.  Coming from the west, I found this habit of people walking in and out of each other's rooms a little difficult.  Privacy is very important to me.  Of course, now I have children of my own, I don't lock the door, but that was then....

I became aware of a scratching and fumbling sound coming from the door.  I looked down from the bed and noticed that someone had pushed a note under my door.  I picked it up. It bore the legend, in a child's handwriting, "Maria aunty is fat girl".

I had a good laugh.  I opened the door and saw the the two boys waiting eagerly for me.  I pretended to be annoyed.  I showed the letter.

Who wrote this?"  I asked.  They acted all innocent,  pretending to know nothing.  I shook my head and frowned.  They seemed to think they had gone far enough.

"Maria aunty, you are thin girl," they assured me.  Well, they were  studying English  in school, and they knew that 'thin' is the opposite of fat.  This made me smile.

"Thanks," I said.  "I'm going to lie down for another half an hour, see you later!"

A few minutes later, I heard a scratching and fumbling at the door.  Sure enough, another note appeared, saying "Maria aunty is thin girl."  It made me laugh out loud.

I asked Praveen yesterday if he remembered that incident.  He is twenty two now and applying for a job and/or higher studies.  He didn't recollect it at all.

Strange!  It's a precious memory for me.

Comments

  1. Kids are great. I like that you played along with them, but drew a line that caused them to write a new note stating the truth.

    My pastor is in India now for two weeks. He said in previous visits it is so hot he saw a bird drop dead in mid flight. It was about 120 degress. Sounds like Phoenix here in the summer.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story... Does he speak perfecy english now?? miss u...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember what all mischief I was up to when I was five or six years old. Do you? On the other hand, my father keeps remembering funny things and asks me how come I don't remember and I tell him that I am nearing senility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute story. :) I always find it interesting what our kids remember and what we remember about them. They're often quite different. I'm grateful that my kids have fond memories about how we interacted. I remember the times I lost my cool.. or didn't listen closely enough. They remember things that we so insignificant to me but fond memories to them. Our mental rolodex truly differs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely story but what a pity that it wasn't remembered by Praveen.
    maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha that did make me laugh Maria. It is so funny what children come out with sometimes, isn't it. I love that children often speak first and think later. We get more deceptive as we get older I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute story...You thin girl you...:)

    The best part of have a good relationship with nephews is when they grow older you can tease them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have memories that are so unimportant to others, but so valuable to me! Memory is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story, its a shame he didnt remember but it was nice that you could remind him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…