Skip to main content

Hot!

"Hi aunty.  You're looking very hot!" said the young fellow talking to my son at the gate as I returned from the local market with my purchases.  I was your typical harassed housewife with a six year old clamouring loudly for attention and carrying a big polythene bag full of noodles, tomato sauce and vegetables to make the dinner.  I stopped dead in my tracks.  Did he say hot?  Or what?

I looked up at the tall young man.  He couldn't have been more than sixteen.  He was younger.

"Aunty, I'm Laksh!  Remember me?  I used to be in Neil's class," he said.  Neil is my fourteen year old son.

"Laksh!  Of course I remember you.  How are you beta (son)?  And how is your mother?"  I said, coming sharply back to reality.  One of the many kids who walks in and out of my life on a regular basis.

We exchanged the usual pleasanteries, briefly discussed the recent happenings in the family, Laksh's father had been ill and I was careful to show the requisite concern.  I also mentioned the recent death of Neil's grandfather. Then I asked the lad how his studies were going.  He had changed schools a year or so previously I remembered.  He said that they were going well.  I was glad, and sincerely hoped that they were.  His English seemed excellent anyway, barring his one, almost disastrous mistake.  Thank God he didn't say that to my mother-in-law, Neil's grandmother.  You do not call your aunty 'hot' no matter how much you think she might be.  Besides, I'm not 'hot'.  Not in the sense he sounded like he meant anyway.  I mean!  I was thirty years old when he was born, dammit!

The boy speaks English as a second language.  He was probably just trying to say I looked well.  I have known the word 'hot' to have different meanings at different stages of my life.   When I worked in airfreight, for example, 'hot' meant 'urgent' and 'red hot' meant 'very urgent'.  Nowadays, it means something else entirely.

Anyway, I wished him well and asked him to remember me to his mother.  I couldn't help smiling as I went into my house, 'though.  Hot, he said.  At forty seven, I'll accept compliments from wherever I can get them.  Even if it is from a fourteen year old who made a mistake in English.....

Comments

  1. Go Girl, Go! Enjoy the compliment. It must be all the new clothes! ;)

    Grannymar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm all for accepting compliments too Maria...even if they aren't quite what they seem! Go on...admit it...it must have made your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am sure there was no mistake.;) I bet you are one "hot" looking woman.;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubbish Gaelikaa. It is summer and the temperature in the Northern Indian plains is hovering around the forties. You must have been perspiring and looking "heated" up. In Hindi, he would have said, Chachi, bahut garam lag rahe ho! He simply thought in Hindi and translated it into English :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a fun post. Enjoy being hot!
    Always good to get a compliment.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rummuser,
    How silly would it be to choose your interpretation when she could take it as a compliment and lift her spirits? This post reminds me of a fellow I met years ago. He said one of his favorite sayings was, "I'll take that as a compliment." He figured who cares how the other person meant it, he had a choice. It works for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made me giggle! Why not just accept the compliment as meant for you!! C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheerful Monk, by now you must know that I am rarely if ever without my tongue firmly in my cheek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ramana Rajgopaul: Being the red blooded male that you are, the humour in this post, which is a particularly female type, just escaped you. The ladies who read and commented on this post understood and appreciated what I was saying. I realise you were heavily medicated when you made that comment so I've decided to forgive you. Otherwise, I don't too kindly to being rubbished, that too in my own comment box.

    I am a 47 year old woman who has given birth to four children; I know I am no longer the stuff of which adolescent fantasies are made. But I do have a sense of humour. Hence the above post.

    I rest my case!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Maria < applause > ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I found your blog. I can learn about the customs of the east.
    Thanks for sharing. I’m your newest follower. Feel free to look over my blog and become one also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this. Yes, it is a great compliment. I like the comment about the "smile".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…