Skip to main content

Akbar and Birbal

There was once a wise and successful emperor in India named Akbar. He was tolerant of all religions and is remembered with respect by Indians of all communities.

He had a friend Birbal who was wise, intelligent....and very funny!

When Akbar first met Birbal, he thought that he would very much like to have this wise man as a companion. He took off his ring and gave it to Birbal. He told Birbal that if he ever wished to meet him, he should come to the palace, send in the ring, and whatever request he had, Akbar the Emperor would be pleased to grant it.

Sooner or later, Birbal decided to go and meet the Emperor. He met the Chief Guard at the palace, showed the ring and asked to meet the Emperor. Recognising the ring, the Chief Guard realised that this man was in a position to get great favours from the Emperor. So he advised him that he would allow him to meet the Emperor. "However," he said, "whatever the Emperor gives you, you must promise to give me half of it!" Birbal readily agreed.

So Birbal met the Emperor. The Emperor was very pleased with him and told him to ask for whatever he wanted. So, Birbal said, as cool as a breeze "Your Imperial Majesty, my greatest desire is to have fifty lashes of the whip!" Greatly surprised, the Emperor asked why. "Because the Chief Guard has asked me to give him half of whatever you give me. So twenty five for him and twenty five for me!"

The Emperor, furious with his Chief Guard for corrupt behaviour, ordered that the full punishment (i.e. fifty lashes!!!) be given to the Chief Guard. And Birbal? Well, he must have been given land, money, titles, jewellery! But he never did give any of these to the Chief Guard!

When someone tries to cheat you, do this to them!

Comments

  1. Love hearing these kinds of stories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've changed your website! I do like the story. Man, this blog a day is hard and fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could do with some Akbars now.

    If you do not mind my saying something out of the ordinary here, I find it extremely difficult to read the new black background presentation of your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaelikaa, I love your writing and eagerly await your posting, BUT, alas I of the older eyes find it impossible to read in the new design. It is something I have been rather vocal about at Barcamps in Ireland. The feint font on a dark background makes for difficult reading.

    I did try to read this post last night before my broadband died, but am now struggling again today.
    Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely gaelikaa. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely gaelikaa. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful and wise, the fables of my culture are riddled with stories like this.;)
    I love the design of your blog.;)
    Thank you for always kind words at my place.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and beautifully told Gael...you write so well xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

April Fool (LBC Post)

One morning, when I went to school in 1977, or was it 1978, when I was a first or second year student in the Irish secondary school system (which is 7th or 8th Class in India) I noticed something very odd indeed. It was a notice pinned to the notice board. It read as follows:

THE INTER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

'The Inter' or the Intermediate Certificate Examination as it was known then, now the Junior Certificate Examination, was a pretty crucial examination. It's called the 'Class Ten Board Examination' in India and the High School Certificate elsewhere.

I knew something was wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out. The notice sparked a minor frenzy. When the date was revealed to be April the 1st, everything made sense.

It's strange how the 1st April can take some people by surprise.

I haven't noticed anything unusual this year. Except that today, I have a rather horrible toothache. But I'll have to go get it sorted.

April Fool jokes are…