Skip to main content

Birthday Curtain

There is a school concert coming up in the girls' convent school.  Mel is in the choir, so the only costume she will require is a pristine school uniform.  No problem there.  But Trish is in the Hawaiian Dance Group.  I know it is going to be wonderful.  (One of my favourite bloggers, Angela Norton, blogs from Hawaii!  Hi, Angela!). But last week, Trish came home and told me that while the top of the costume (a white spaghetti strap tee shirt) may be purchased in a local drapers, the skirt was to be made of a red and silver material called 'birthday curtain', easily available in a place called 'Aminabad'.

There are shops all over Lucknow, but Aminabad, in Lucknow, is the ultimate market.  It has traditionally been the one market where you can get anything.  It is a very traditional type of market and apparently, if you have the skill, you can haggle with the shopkeepers to get a better price.

But while every Lucknow housewife may have served her time negotiating her way around the lanes of the Aminabad Bazaar, as a foreigner, I've not had that privilege.  I live too far away for one thing.  Another thing is that being a foreigner, in the absence of a fixed rate, I can be quite heavily charged for routine items.  It hasn't really happened much.  My in-laws are protective enough of me and that works well at times.  My few visits to Aminabad have been in the company of sisters-in-law.  However, neither they (the sisters-in-law) nor I, have much time to browse in the bazaar.  So when the teachers in the school cheerfully inform me that  I should not worry, it's available in Aminabad, that is a cause of deep worry for me.  My in-laws try to avoid that distant market as far as possible.  And I don't know my way around it.

But thankfully, the day is saved!  Some of the parents have loudly protested to the school about the inconvenience.  So now, Trish informs, the school is going to send someone to Aminabad to bring the material.  The parents just have to send the money.

What a relief!

Comments

  1. What a relief, I would have been annoyed at having to get material myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    I will take your advice re Christmas, and God willing this year it will be special as I have a new grandchild on the way, due on the 21st.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaelikaa,schools always come up with something,don't they?
    That is a very crowded market but I love to shop there,lots of things on display & not expensive at all.It would have been difficult for you to go by yourself,glad the school is doing the needful.
    What fun to have both kids in the concert!Hope you all have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that makes perfect, economical sense! I am glad they thought that up. It's nice your in-laws are protective of you and help you around. Shopping can be quiet an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I know how shop keepers can charge foreigners, it is pretty much the same thing here as well! I really like bazaars, they can be crowded and packed up though!
    Well good to know you didn't have to pay it a visit!

    And thanks for the lovely advices. You are one of the best blog readers ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, my best wish for you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the school got its act together! I hope you can find the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of people, one being my daughter and sister-in-law, love to haggle and shop. I have know them to go shopping for 8 hours and not buy a thing! Jennifer loves Ross and Nancy loves QVC-believe me, she only buys the bargains! I, on the other hand, do not enjoy shopping. Even though I lived in Okinawa for a year, I never got the haggling down, mainy because I was unsure of what amount to start with. I always wanted them to make money, etc. Glad the school is buying the material!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is Halloween like in India?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sensible solution. It pays to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello my dear Gaelikaa!

    Please stop by my blog. I have an award for you! :)

    Angela from (Angela's Soliloquy)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Gaelikaa,

    How can I forget your blogs? The present is for your blogs too :), both of them. Take it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never heard of 'birthday curtain', it sounds fascinating any chance of a photo of the finished outfit?

    Enjoy your daughters' talents at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Learning a whole new culture is tricky even the first time round ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sensible solution - it makes you wonder why the school didn't think of that in the first place.

    Enjoy the concert. I'm sure it will be brilliant.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Schools have a habit of making life difficult for parents...it doesn't seem to have changed since my children were at school.

    Pity they couldn't have come up with the solution in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me. Please let me know you were here

Popular posts from this blog

Good Intentions

I had great intentions for this week.  I'd write a thousand words every day, review six books, get my Loose Bloggers Consortium (LBC) post up well in advance.  And did I?  No, no, no.  I wrote about two hundred words per day and have been trying to read and review two books and still not finished reading.  My target of 19,000 words until today by now is around 15,000 on my 100kWords in 100 Days Challenge.  It seems I'm just not cutting the mustard.

I have the intentions.  I just don't seem to have the mojo to carry out the things I want to do. So many intentions, not enough time.  I've not been sleeping well lately.  Probably very tired.

So - my intention now is to try to get more sleep.  Then carry out the original intentions.That' what I intend to do.  As of now.  Meanwhile, my post is up one day late.

I had to go out to the bank this morning to get some pending work finished.  I clicked the above picture en route.  It seems that after a three week winter, we're…

Global Peace - Is It Possible? LBC Post

I can't believe it's Friday already and time for another LBC post.  The Loose Blogger's Consortium (LBC) is a blogging group consisting of about half a dozen of us who blog together every Friday on the same topic.  We are indebted to Ramana (aka blogger Rummuser) for this week's topic.  Instead of just giving a straightforward topic like anyone else would, he posed a question instead.  Is global peace possible? he asked.  I decided to answer his question in a Tweet sized sentence.



Is global peace possible?  Of course it is. If everyone gets in harmony with each other.   But will it happen?  How on earth would I know?


As we say in Ireland (well, as they used to say when I lived there two decades ago), that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to All-Free-Download for the photo.  Thanks to Lettercount for their character counting facilities.  And thanks to my LBC group for being there every Friday in blogging solidarity.

The Curse of Poverty - Short Story

As the dawn light spread its fingers across the early morning, Rajji stirred uneasily.  She tended to sleep like a street dog - ever alert, with one ear open.  But she'd been tired the previous night and as a consequence had slept rather heavily. Her life was a constant struggle, filled with tasks and responsibilities. If she hadn't been careful, she might have been robbed!  She sprang into alert mode and clutched about her person.  No, everything was in place, the precious money was undisturbed.  Thanks to her employment with the bank, cleaning for one hour every morning, six days a week, she even had a bank account which one of the bank employees had helped her to set up.  What little money she had saved up was safe.....

She looked over her children.  Babu, her son lay sleeping still.  Muniya, her daughter, stirred, close to waking up.  But where was Gudiya, her youngest child?  Might have woken up early and gone to wander around.  Gudiya knew everyone around here and every…